Sunday, October 19, 2014

Weekend Wildcard - Lazy Weekend's Reading

USA Times Bestselling author Amy Andrews has joined the Pink Heart Society today to talk about her ideal lazy weekend - complete with reading recs!

I rarely have lazy weekends but if I did they would go something like this.

Wake up sometime after seven, preferably closer to eight, bliss if it’s closer to nine. Husband brings me an omelette and cup of tea in bed. Because he’s that kind of guy. Plus he knows where the sex comes from. Settle in for an entire day of reading. As in, only getting out of bed for bathroom stops.

If it’s raining, more’s the better.

Sounds like bliss right? So I think we should all just do it. Today. Just shut out the world and stay in bed. And I have some great recs for your reading pleasure too!

This is a freaking great book. I just could not put it down once I’d flicked open that first page. For a start, it’s incredibly well written – funny and zingy and witty. And really hot. But it’s the characters and the way Wendy has written them that really shine.

You see Emma, our heroine, is a plus sized woman.  Now, I’m not talking curvy, or voluptuous or all the other euphemisms we writers use for women who have an hourglass figure but are essentially never going to have trouble going into a skinny girl shop and buying a dress off the rack.  I LOVE that about this book. 

I love that Wendy didn’t shy away from Emma’s size to make it more “palatable” to readers. Emma is truly a large woman – she has thighs and a butt and a tummy that she worries about and she has the large breasts that tend to go hand in hand with that type of figure. And even better – she’s not a depressive lunatic cot case. Sure, she has the same negative internal monologue pretty much all women do (regardless of their size) but she’s got her head screwed on straight and I LOVE that. I also love that, like a lot of women Emma’s size, she’s adjusted her expectations of what she can realistically achieve as far as men go. I love it because that’s so true to life. And I love it because the hero Brody, “The Bull” Bullock, just comes right in and blows all that crap away.
Originally found on Pinterest

As a pro wrestler, Brody’s used to fighting but not for a woman who blocks him at every turn. Women usually throw themselves at him – but not Emma. The thing is though, he’s smitten, he’s desperately smitten and the patient way he woos her, the way he convinces her that she sexy and beautiful and everything he wants in a woman will just melt your heart into a big gooey puddle!

Really – if you can only play hooky from your life for a couple of hours on Saturday then you should so read this book. And if it was ever to be made into a movie then I so reckon plus size model Tess Munster and her hunky guy Nick Holliday should play the starring rolls!

Another sexy novella from the amazing brain of one of my favourite authors. I have never read a Kelly Hunter I didn’t love – this one is no exception. With a hunky dive instructor hero and an assertive photographer heroine and a whimsical style that seduces you to keep reading, you really need to snap this book up. It is the second in a trilogy so I suggest you get The Honeymoon Trap and read it first – not that you need to but just because it’s also bloody good!


I loved this witty contemporary romance. Considering its set in and around a sports team (Baseball) that’s a major feat for me! 

But the snark, banter and sizzle between Maggie and Alex had me eagerly turning the pages and the major eye candy in the form of the other two men who will be getting their books too (Angel in Armani out in Dec) has me eagerly awaiting the others. 


I lapped this book up – stayed in bed until two in the afternoon to finish it. A grouchy guy who wants to be left the hell alone, a damsel in distress that he can’t seem to resist and New York. Perfect! I loved the slow burn between May and Ben and I loved how the city became another character, I could feel it pulsing around me, its grit and its wonder all rolled into one.

I am a recent convert to Ms Dahl. What the hell I was thinking taking this long I have NO idea because I’ve read several of hers now and I’ve adored all of them. My most recent one is this sexy little novella. Why did I love it? It has all the usual Dahl trademarks - great banter, fabulous characters, laugh-out-loud lines. 

But I really love this one because it’s a book with older characters finding love again after the death of a spouse and divorce and I especially love the “off-limits” trope. Jake and Lauren’s ex-husband were friends. I love that whole – I want to but I shouldn’t push and pull. Plus the coitus interruptus scene where they get caught by Jake’s adult daughter is just fabulous!

So, there you go – plenty of choice for your Saturday of playing hooky. Also, there’s my new book too, No More Mr. Nice Guy, if you want to give that one a whirl. Just sayin’…

So tell me – have you read any good books lately?  What's your idea of the perfect lazy weekend? 

Amy's latest novel - No More Mr Nice Guy - is out now, and climbing up the bestseller charts:

He's done playing the nice guy...

Newly single school counselor Josie Butler just made herself a Sexy To-Do list (featuring Bad Boys only). To her mortification, her best friend's gorgeous older brother Mack finds it…and laughs. But when Josie goes looking for some sexy fun, Mack's nice guy side turns all hot bad-assery, and suddenly she's pinned against an alley wall. Hottest. Sex. Ever. 
Veterinarian Mack Kennedy can't believe Josie wants to ditch her sweet, girl-next-door lifestyle. Even worse, that she'd consider doing it with anyone but him. When she leaves for London they'll go back to being 'just friends' but until then, he's going to show her just how bad nice guys can be.
And it's the perfect plan, as long as no one finds out... and no one falls in love.

For more information about Amy and her writing exploits, check out her website, subscribe to her newsletter and follow her on Facebook and Twitter


  1. I'm so happy you enjoyed The V-Spot!!!! Readers have a lot of different opinions about Emma. I'm glad you loved her!!!

  2. Loved loved loved her, Wendy. Loved this book!
    Thank you for writing it xxx