Friday, October 24, 2014

Friday Fun - I asked for an escape; what I got was a dose of reality...

Today brings with it the return of superfan Desere Steenberg to the Pink Heart Society.  She's talking today about the intrusion of reality on the escape of reading...

When most of us sit down to read it comes down to wanting to escape from the hassle of everyday life, the bad news in the media, the running around with activities and the mad house our world has become.

But sometimes I find stepping in to the pages of a book is a little too close to the truth of our world and quite frankly it freaks me out, as in I immediately want to stuff the book in the freezer or fling it out the window!

Gone with the WindNow before you go thinking I quit reading anything that feels to real, let me set you straight, I finish it to the very end. Why? Because even though it’s too close for comfort and I am completely freaked out the whole read through I am a sucker for wanting to find out what happens in the end.

With suspense reads I want to find out if the good guys make it out or if it’s a romance I want to find out if the heroine or hero that have been through utter hell and back finds the courage to get up and live again.

The Great GatsbyBut sadly there is always the very harsh truth that at the end of the book it offered me no escape and I feel let down, and pretty much like I just stepped out from, well, nowhere, because I never really left the real world to begin with.

Of course there are those that tell me am completely mad and off my ever loving reading rocker, because as they say “It’s just a book” or “So what, we all see this type of thing happen every day “but to me it is truly upsetting and at the end of the day I wish I could truly make the book go away and rather go back to land of fantasy.  Of course that is not possible and instead I have to find a way to deal with my escapism being ruined. 

Three Blind Mice - Agatha ChristieI start thinking about good things I see every day, I seek out time with my loved ones or simply reread a book that I know for a definite fact did not have harsh reality rearing its ugly head and messing up my fantasy escape.

Tell us in the comments what you think about harsh reality in books. Do you wish you never picked up the book to begin with? Do you toss it into the bin and forget you ever read a part of it or do you like me finish it and try to find a way to live with it?

To find out more about Desere, you can read her romance reviews on Romance Book Haven, and follow her on Twitter or Facebook

1 comment:

  1. Hi Desere,

    I find too much harsh reality intruding on my reading time at present. Lots of work. coupled with the fact that my reading speed has taken a dive for some reason. I used to be able to read books the size of doorsteps in a day. If anyone has a remedy for flaggign readng speed, I'd like to hear it. Meanwhile, I've gone and got myself a nice automatic washing machine which practically frees me from washday blues. So that's a start.....

    ReplyDelete