Saturday, October 04, 2014

Call Story - Rachael Thomas



We at the Pink Heart Society are delighted to welcome debut Modern/Presents author Rachael Thomas with her call story. Congratulations Rachael!

I’m thrilled to be here today to share my call story. I still have to pinch myself to believe it!

Eight years ago I settled down to seriously write after having dabbled with words since I was very young. I set myself a goal of finishing a book. I now know that was the beginning of my apprenticeship. I joined the New Writers’ Scheme organised by the Romantic Novelists’ Association and over the next seven years, submitted each year to the scheme. I also submitted directly to Harlequin Mills and Boon and entered competitions. Each time a rejection came in, I’d push on and write another book, determined to make it better.

At the beginning of last year, after receiving another rejection, I wanted to approach my writing differently. I decided to write only for me, the story I just had to tell, the one in my heart. I did exactly that and as Harlequin’s So You Think You Can Write competition opened last September, my story was complete. After being gently nudged by a friend, I entered.

It was nerve wracking seeing my first chapter was online for all to read and comment on. With so many great entries, all I hoped for was some feedback. I was totally shocked when my entry made the Top 50. It was exciting and scary all that the same time. My complete story, unedited, was now online, but more importantly, in front of editors. To say I was ecstatic when I made the Top 10 is an understatement and even though I didn't make the final Top 3 I was excited when my feedback arrived just before Christmas.

I spent the holiday period revising and polishing my story, which I resubmitted in the New Year. I tried really hard to push it to the back of my mind and get on with life. So when my phone rang, just minutes before I was to meet a friend for lunch, I was shocked to find out it was an editor from Mills and Boon. It was ‘the call’. 

On a cold and windy winter’s day, I was huddled in a shop doorway, hearing the magic words ‘We’d like to buy your book’ I was beside myself with excitement, but tried hard to remain calm and business-like, which isn't easy when your dream has just come true.

I’d like to say thank you to those who supported me through SYTYCW. My revised entry now had a fabulous new title. A Deal Before The Altar
 
A Deal Before the Altar is available buy right now!

"I have a deal to put to you, Mr. Ramirez..."

Georgina Henshaw will do anything to ensure her younger sister's happiness; even marry the darkly enigmatic Santos Ramirez! She has just one condition: she'll wear his ring, but she'll never share his bed!

Santos has earned his ruthless reputation, but even he isn't sure whether to be shocked or awed by Ms. Henshaw's proposal. He can't deny marriage would solve his current problem, but to truly secure his family business, the delectable Georgina must provide him with an heir.


For more information about Rachael Thomas, check out her website and blog, or follow her on Twitter and Facebook.

5 comments:

  1. Yay! I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of this book in the bookstore so I can put it on my keeper shelf. Congratulations Rachael :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fabulous story about a fabulous story, Rachael! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing how people came to be published, thanks for sharing your call story! Congrats on your debut!

    ReplyDelete