Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Tuesday Talk-Time - Why I Read Romance


The Pink Heart Society is delighted to welcome another Romance SuperFan as one of our columnists - Desere Steenberg. Today she tells us just what it is about romance that makes her heart beat that little bit faster...

Hello from a gorgeous sunny South Africa! First off I would like to thank the lovely ladies of PHS for inviting me to be a part of their amazing family.

Now you’re probably wondering who exactly I am and why I'm here, well the answer is a simple one, I'm a romance reading addict! Since the age of seven I have always had my nose glued to the inside of a book, at first it was children’s reads of course, (What were you thinking, romance? Hello I was only seven!). Following tales of puppies and fairies were the history books, mystery, psychological thrillers, suspense and paranormal books. No matter the book, it always came down to one thing:


While my friends were out partying, you could find me engaged in a good book.  


Then came the day I moved up from small town library to big city library and on my first visit, as I entered the door, the cover of a book in the romance section caught my eye. The title was a Mills & Boon Modern, Willingly Bedded Forcibly Wedded by Melanie Milburne. I walked over, picked it up, read the blurb and two weeks later I had read over twenty five romance books. 

I was hooked and I've never been able to stop! 


You get the history, the suspense, the action-whatever you feel like reading!-and all of life’s twists and turns along the way. What’s not to love about having everything you love within one genre?
 
When I step into the pages of a romance it offers me an escape from everyday life. It transports me to a whole new world , where the characters become real and I get to see inside their minds. Nothing is hidden, whereas in real life, human nature blocks all of that out and, at times, seems less real. 

Many say romance books aren't like real life, but to me they truly do feel real. When I'm reading, I climb inside the book and live every single emotion of each character. 

But more than anything, I love romance because it lets me live a thousand lives, experience a million emotions and best of all I get to fall in love over and over again!



Why do you read romance? Is it for the escapism it offers or is there a thrill or natural high you get when picking up a romance by your favorite author? Do you imagine yourself as the heroine, walking in her shoes or fantasize about the hero and wish he was real? What about the emotional roller-coaster? Do you prefer a romance which makes you laugh or cry, swoon or sigh, or a combination of all the above? Let us know!

To find out more about Desere, you can read her romance reviews on Romance Book Haven, and follow her on Twitter or Facebook

12 comments:

  1. Hi Desere

    Loved that I think you and I think the same :) I have been reading since I was a kid and when i found romance I too have never looked back I totally lose myself in the story I laught I cry and I smile I bite my nails with the suspense and travel the world back in time and into the future but I always end up smiling in the end. I love your reviews and I am sure we have read a lot of the same books

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike! Thanks for stopping by Helen

      Delete
  2. I read widely, and always have - but whatever I'm reading, there just has to be a love element in it or I lose interest. My very favourite books are ones that make me laugh at some point, with a sassy heroine, and a hero who has no idea what's happening to him as he's falling in love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sassy heroine and a good laugh is always a winner ! Thanks for stopping buy Avril

      Delete
  3. For me it's watching the development of relationships, the 'will they won't they' and knowing that you're guaranteed a happily ever after, or at least a happily for the time being.
    I love most genres but when I'm feeling a bit down I'll usually reach for something with a good spot of romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading romance when am a little down, it always reminds me there is something beautiful in life other then the gloom we usually have to deal with. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Great post, Desere - you're a wonderful ambassador for the genre! I read widely, but the thing I love about romance books is the way I feel at the end. A well-written HEA never fails to uplift my mood and put a big smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stefanie! I completely agree with you about the ending, it's the best part of a romance book! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Hi Desere,

    I definitely read romance, and category romance in particular. That's how I came to write it too. Thanks for sharing with us. I'm amazed at the story of how you came to read so many books when you first found romance. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I can say Desere is...ditto. Its like looking in a mirror!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So awesome to have you here Desere! And I totally get what you're saying. For me it was picking up a Sandra Marton book in the grocery store after a brutal week of work and rediscovering my love of romance. It was like being transported to another world. I never wanted it to stop!

    ReplyDelete