Thursday, September 18, 2014

Time Out Thursday - A Stitch in Time

Lovely regular Pink Heart Society columnist Jennifer Faye is talking about what she does in her spare time; or at least, what little spare time she has outside of writing...

I must admit that when I quit the day job to become a full-time writer I thought that I would have all the time in the world to do a little bit of everything. LOL. I was sooo naive. Hey, you live and you learn. ;-) These days I spend way more time doing writing and writing-related things than I ever did at the office—even when I was doing yearend reports.

But when I’m able to sneak in some ‘me’ time, one of the things that I LOVE to do is my needlework. If truth be told, I practically grew up with a needle in my hand. I started sewing when I was very little. Maybe three or so. I was anxious to make magic like my grandmother did with a needle and thread.

It was during this period that my grandmother taught me a lot about patience. Just because I wanted something didn’t mean that I was going to get it right away. Not an easy lesson to learn, especially for someone so young. Maybe that’s why I enjoy the anticipation in most cases more so than the big event. She also taught me that in most cases there’s an order/process to things.

First, we had to pick out a design that I was going to embroider. Talk about exciting. She had scads of needlework magazines with lots of pretty iron-on designs. I wanted the elaborate—I wanted to do what she did. She told me that maybe I could do those later and then pointed me toward the beginner designs. Eventually with much patience on my grandmother’s part, we settled on one. Yippee! I was ready to begin.

Umm, not so fast. What? But why?

There was material to locate. And then of course, it had to be laundered, but laundry was done only on Mondays. What? Really? Gosh. Darn. Even a few days was a LONG time for a little kid. But eventually Monday rolled around and the laundry was done. Talk about an excited kid.

But quickly I learned that you don’t stitch wrinkled material. It must be ironed and ironing day wasn’t until Tuesday. What? More waiting? I sulked and went away.

The next day was ironing day, surely I’d get to sew. I was back pestering my grandmother, eager and ready to begin working with all of the floss in such pretty colors. Well, ironing took up a big chunk of the day and my grandmother had other chores to do so there wasn’t any time left. But she promised me that since I was so good at waiting that we would start first thing Wednesday morning. Woohoo!

And of course, like any good grandmother, she kept her promise. ;-)

And that is how I started my love of needlework. I do various kinds of needlework such as crewel, embroidery, cross-stitch, needlepoint, punch stitch, and quilting. I have book upon book of patterns, heaps of material and case upon case of pretty colored floss. :-) And still, I can find more to buy. It is most definitely one of my guilty pleasures.

So how about you? Did you learn a hobby of some sort at a young age and still love to do it? If so, share with us. I love to learn about other hobbies/crafts.

Jennifer’s upcoming release, A Princess by Christmas, is available for pre-order now.

A royal kiss under the mistletoe… 

Prince Alexandro Castanovo arrives in snowy New York intent on protecting his royal family from scandal. And when Reese Harding—down-to-earth and heart-stoppingly beautiful—finds room for him at her inn, it seems like the perfect twist of fate. 

Not long ago Reese's world came crumbling down, shaking her foundations. But this enigmatic stranger intrigues her! She's learned to be wary of secrets…but when she discovers Alex's true identity, might there be enough magic in the air to make this regular American girl a princess by Christmas…?



To find out more about Jennifer and her books, visit her on her website, or her Facebook and Twitter pages.

12 comments:

  1. I love sewing!! Whenever I'm broke, I turn to cross-stitch and create sweet little bookmarks for friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I haven't done any bookmarks yet...but I have the materials and patterns in my cedar chest. One of these days I'll get to them. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I sew, too--although I hated it when I was a kid--and would like to learn to do something with my hands, but haven't decided what. Liked your post--I think our grandmothers were related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've loved working with my hands since I was a kid. I can't think of a craft I didn't like. The one thing my grandmother told me and I haven't forgotten is to make sure and sew while I'm young before the arthritis sets in. She got really frustrated that she couldn't work a needle as well in her golden years. So I've been trying to keep up with the sewing when I can.

      Delete
  3. That's lovely, and a beautiful memory! My sewing started in 4-H and I hated it. Now I use my sewing machine to do things with straight seams, lol. And I taught myself to cross-stitch, but I rarely have the patience for it! I'm more of a knitter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. My daughter every Christmas tries to get me going on knitting but it hasn't quite caught on for me. I get the basics but I haven't moved on from there. Usually a book deadline comes up and I set it aside and never get back to it. BTW sewing straight lines is great on the machine. And I love to iron...when I'm quilting. It's when I have to iron clothes that I lose the interest. LOL.

      Delete
  4. These are beautiful! I may need to look into a new hobby myself...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :-) I just wish I had more time to work on them. There's nothing like curling up in the winter with a blanket, an old show on the dvd player and sewing in my hand. Oh and a mug of hot tea and my kitty on my lap. :-)

      Delete
  5. Lovely pics! I'm a quilter, too. I love it! It's definitely my passion alongside writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louisa. So glad to her we have a lot in common. :-)

      Delete