Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Figuring It Out: All Work and NO Play…

That’s right! All work and no play makes Jennifer a dull girl. And a tired one. ;-)

Sometimes the best thing to do is NOTHING. Yes, you read that right. Do nothing, at least writing-wise.

With social media, it’s so easy to see what everyone else is doing. Every day someone has wonderful, exciting news about a new accomplishment and it’s so easy to get caught up in the whirlwind of excitement. 

But then I look at where I am and what I’m doing and I start to think that I’m not doing enough. There’s this little voice in my head that says I should be working harder, faster and turning out more books quicker.

And it isn’t just the outside sources that add to the pressure, it’s the internal. I have a lot of characters all fighting to have their tales told but when all is said and done, I can really only write one story at a time. So then I want to start pushing myself to write faster and write more often.

Week after week and month after month of working seven days a week, the energy starts to fade and the creative well starts to empty. The work gets slower and slower. What is to be done then?

It’s time to stop working and indulge in a little playtime. ;-)



I just fulfilled my latest Harlequin contract and submitted my duet two months ahead of deadline.  *cue cheering* Why was it early you might ask? Not because I normally write so fast. But rather I had a goal. I wanted some downtime this summer. And the only way to fit it into my schedule was to get ahead of my schedule.

And let me tell you the downtime feels great. Am I writing? Yeah, sure. Some. But I don’t push myself and I don’t write every day. I have other priorities right now. :-)

So what in the world have I been doing? Enjoying life. I’ve spent some time in the kitchen baking some delicious recipes with fresh blueberries and some other recipes with chocolate. Mmm… I’ve been cooking too and not just the basics but the bigger meals that take more time. And when I’m not in the kitchen, I’ve been doing my needlework while watching some television. Things I don’t normally have time to do.
And you know what, I’m getting anxious to get back to writing.

I have a number of projects currently under consideration with my editor. And a special one that I’m waiting for more info about, but I probably won’t hear about any of those things until the end of the month. So what am I going to do between now and then? Play. :-)


In actuality there are still administrative things such as preparing for the upcoming Christmas release, A PRINCESS BY CHRISTMAS. It will be releasing in October which is only a matter of weeks away. And I’m very excited about it.

A royal kiss under the mistletoe... 

Prince Alexandro Castanovo arrives in snowy New York intent on protecting his royal family from scandal. And when Reese Harding—down-to-earth and heart-stoppingly beautiful—finds room for him at her inn, it seems like the perfect twist of fate. 

Not long ago Reese's world came crumbling down, shaking her foundations. But this enigmatic stranger intrigues her! She's learned to be wary of secrets…but when she discovers Alex's true identity, might there be enough magic in the air to make this regular American girl a princess by Christmas…?


But it’s the downtime that’s recharging my creative batteries and getting me excited about writing again. So remember to take some time for yourself to kick back and enjoy life a little. You don’t want to hit burn out status, especially if you love your job as much as I do. ;-)


Currently available:

Jax and Cleo reunite under the bright lights of Vegas. They’ve come a long way from their childhood friendship in Small Town, Wyoming. Jax is a reformed bad boy but trouble still has a way of finding him. Follow their journey in THE RETURN OF THE REBEL. 

No comments:

Post a Comment