Saturday, July 12, 2014

Writer's Weekend -- Addison Fox

Harlequin Romantic Suspense Author Addison Fox shares how she finds inspiration.

My thanks to the Pink Heart Society for having me today! I love talking about writing and Michelle gave me a fun topic for today – where do I write and find my inspiration?
For me, writing is truly a solitary endeavor. I much prefer quiet and solitude to having people around me. I always had the dream of writing in a coffee house, the rich scents of mocha lattes surrounding me, but in reality, I find it much better to stay in my routine, tucked away in my office.
Although I prefer quiet, I will confess to an odd quirk. For some reason – and the urge only seems to strike on the weekends – I love putting in Star Wars (Episode IV only!!) and running it in the background as I write. I haven’t figured out why (although who can argue with a young Harrison Ford as heroic inspiration?) but it’s a wacky little quirk that I indulge in frequently.
Other than that, I truly prefer being by myself when I write. There’s something about the quiet – and the familiar comfort – that makes the words flow far faster than trying to acclimate myself to a new environment outside my home.
If my writing life is about solitude, I’d say I find inspiration in the exact opposite places. I love going out, meeting new people and engaging in new situations. Every single time, something leaps up and strikes me as a story idea. A Saturday night outing to a minor league baseball game can be as much a conduit to a fresh set of ideas as a brainstorming session with fellow writers. And a visit to a new place can drum up an entirely new set of locations to set my stories in.
I’ve heard it said before and I’ll echo the sentiment. All too often, writers have an abundance of inspiration – it’s parsing through the ideas and culling down the ones that have the most staying power that is the hard part.
And that’s where the last burst of inspiration comes from – spending time with fellow writers. I’m endlessly amazed (happily so!) when I’ve spent an afternoon with my RWA chapter or time with some of my fellow authors how refreshed and excited I am to get back to my computer and get my hands on the keyboard. Spending time with people who “get you” and using that time to refill the well is so important.
So there you have it….this writer’s life in a nutshell. Oh wait….I didn’t mention the power of wine….ah well, perhaps that’s better saved for another blog!


Despite early ambitions of being a diver, a drummer or a doctor, Addison Fox happily discovered she was more suited to life as a writer. She lives in Dallas and - thankfully - doesn't have to operate on anyone. You can find her at her home on the web at Her latest book, THE MANHATTAN ENCOUNTER, is currently out from Harlequin Romantic Suspense. You can visit her at her website at

No comments:

Post a Comment