Saturday, July 05, 2014

Playlist Inspiration with Amy Ruttan

Today the Pink Heart Society is thrilled to welcome back Harlequin Medical Romance author, Amy Ruttan! Take it away, Amy!

It’s great to be back at the Pink Heart Society!

Last time I was here I was talking about my workspace.

Now I’d thought I’d talk about my endless playlists. Every book has a playlist. I don’t work in silence.

I’ve tried. It’s just too darn quiet and I’m easily distracted by new a shiny things. The internet is bad for that. So when I write. I listen to music. Lots of music and every book has a particular playlist. I’ve tried to listen to a playlist again after I finish one book and start a new one, but it doesn’t work.

I have to wait a few books before I can pick songs from previous books playlists.

We can start with my newest release Pregnant with the Soldier’s Son. I listened to a lot of Queen. Actually, it was surprising how much Queen I listened too. Not that I’m complaining. I LOVE Queen. Freddie Mercury is one of my favorite singers of all time.

The song which really stuck with me was Who Wants to Live Forever. That seemed to Ingrid and Clint’s song.

My October release Dare She Date Again? Which is actually connected to my debut Safe in His Hands had a very specific song. One that really stuck with me during revisions and that was Avril Lavigne & Chad Kroeger’s song Let Me Go.

My heroine is struggling to open her heart again after the death of her husband and my hero George Atavik who readers first met in Safe in His Hands as the air paramedic, has to overcome his fear after a plane crash nearly kills him.

Melting the Ice Queen’s Heart the song which spoke to my hero and heroine was Heart Attack by Demi Lovato. The song speaks about my heroine, who keeps everything inside and not wanting to fall in love. Of course the hero and his two nieces change all of that.

My debut Safe in His Hands was an entire playlist of Adele. In particular Someone Like You. In fact the day I got the email from my then editor, the first song I heard on the alarm was this song. It was like fate!

And the book I just turned in not only had a song which inspired me, but also gave me the inspiration for the hero in Adam Levine. *fans self* The song Love Somebody was on repeat quite often.

Plus, really it was quite easy to watch Adam Levine sing over and over again on You Tube. LOL

Music really inspires me. When I drive my music is always playing. When the TV is off, inevitably I have my iPhone or computer playing my iTunes.

As for my current work in progress, well I’m still building my list. I’ll keep you posted.

You can find more about Amy at the following sites:

Twitter: @ruttanamy



  1. Thanks for sharing your favorites. Loved listening to them. I might add some of them to my iTunes.
    I use playlist while I'm writing, too. It really sets the scene and mood. If I have to leave a mss for awhile the playlist puts me back in that place when I get back to the mss.
    Last night I went to open my "novel tracks" where I keep my writing playlists and it was gone! I had about eight playlists in it. I'm hoping they are on my iPod, which is charging right now.

    1. Oh no! I hope your playlists are recovered, Christy! Eek I think I was having a panic attack on your behalf there. Technology is awesome, but it can suck sometimes too.

    2. Playlists are gone. Oh well, now I get to play around with making some new ones. I downloaded a Kate Miller Heidke album. She'll fit nicely with my revisions I'm working on now. I still have my all my tunes.

    3. Oh no! Sorry that sucks major, Christy.

  2. I really enjoyed all of the music recommendations, plus hearing about the importance of music in your life and with your writing. Looking forward to that list you're building and wishing all the best! :)

    1. HUGS! Thank you, Lynne!

      I really enjoy music, but can't carry a tune to save my life. LOL