Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Kate's Kitchen - breakfast!

Last month, I mentioned that my trainer and I had been tweaking my diet a bit. (And, yay, it's working!) One of the tweaks is to even out the calories I consume during the day, i.e. I eat a much bigger breakfast now (split into two – the first half is the smoothie or Greek yoghurt and berries before my workout at the gym, and I have the other half when I come home).

So – a breakfast to fuel a workout (or basically help your muscles recover afterwards). I try not to have the same breakfast twice in a row (I used to be in a bit of a breakfast rut). Here are my suggestions:

  • oatmeal – 40g of steel-cut oats cooked with almond milk, then add 2 tsp flaxseed (good for lowering cholesterol), a sprinkle of cinnamon, 2 tsp sunflower seeds, 50g full fat Greek yoghurt, and a handful or two of berries (porridge never used to fill me up – this way, it does) 
  • omelette – sauté sliced mushrooms and red pepper in 1 tsp olive oil, add two beaten eggs and cook as usual, and top with 50g steamed spinach 
  • low-fat eggs Florentine – 2 small slices rye bread, toasted and topped with 50g steamed spinach and 2 poached eggs (no hollandaise, but I’ve discovered that balsamic glaze is a very nice alternative) 
  • 2 scrambled eggs with 50g smoked salmon and 50g steamed spinach (um, yes, there is a theme to this... greens with all meals!) 
  • tuna steak with roasted Mediterranean veg (yes, you did read that right: tuna for breakfast. I asked my trainer if she was nuts when she suggested it, and she just laughed and said it was a good source of lean protein – and, actually, it’s just as nice for breakfast as it is for lunch. It’s also good with - wait for it... spinach :o) )

Kate’s latest release is 200 Harley Street: The Soldier Prince – part of the 200 Harley Street continuity. You can find out more about the book, and Kate, on her website (http://www.katehardy.com/) and her blog (http://katehardy.blogspot.com/) - or find her on Facebook

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy Kate. Am considering changing from my three hobnobs and two coffees to something more nutritious. The problem is giving up the caffeine...