Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Figuring It Out – Overwhelmed

Summer is here!!!

And I don’t know about you but for me life kicks into high gear as there are some many things to do in the nice weather. However there are still writing deadlines that must be met. It can be overwhelming.

Finding it hard to juggle everything can happen to the best of us.

In this age of technology where blogs, reviews, emails keep you glued to the keyboard and the ease of travel with so many fantastic conferences to attend has you hitting the road, being an author is no longer just about writing the best story possible. It is about multitasking. It is being author, manager and promoter. More and more publishers are relying on authors to get out the news about their new releases. And there are so many avenues in which to do this that it can become overwhelming.

I’m guessing that I’m not the only writer who from time to time feels
completely and utterly overwhelmed. Luckily it isn’t a constant feeling. In fact right now, even though I’m behind on the Hearts & Scribbles blog, I’m ahead with my writing/contract deadlines. *big happy sigh of relief* I just turned in revisions on book #6, the first book in an Italian duet due out in 2015. I was ahead of schedule by a month. :-) I don’t get to say that very often. Now to get in the next book in the duet ahead of schedule and prepare for the release of my July book, THE RETURN OF THE REBEL. If I can conquer those two items, I might score a little downtime this summer to recharge the batteries. Fingers crossed.

I think that’s the trick a writer must learn—to schedule in some me/family time. Right now I work 7 days a week. Not all of it is actual writing as there is a lot admin to do in this business. And it always seems as if my inbox has something that needs my attention.

So even if I get this next book in early, I still won’t be able to walk away from the computer…at least not
completely. It and I are joined at the hip. But dealing with it in small doses, I don’t mind. ;-)

My goal is to not hit burn out status. I have too many story ideas and characters that want their stories told. And I don’t want to lose the love of writing. That would be a very sad day.

But knowing that I will have some downtime after I submit this next book definitely has acted as a carrot at the end of the stick. The words are coming faster and easier. I just might be able to do this. *knock on wood*

The moral of the story is “me” time is just as important as BICHOK. Everyone needs to refill the creative well now and then. Getting overwhelmed doesn’t help you or the stories you want to tell.

So schedule in some guilt-free downtime and enjoy!!!

Jennifer Faye’s current release,SAFE IN THE TYCOON'S ARMS, is available now! Find out what happens when Kate meets up with New York’s Bachelor-of-the-Year. Online at Amazon, Amazon-UK B&N as well as other locations.

Jennifer would love to hear from readers. You can contact her via her website.


  1. Thanks for the post...(by the way, love those kitty pictures!)

    1. Hi Angela. Thanks for stopping by. Glad you enjoyed the kitty pix. :-)