Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Call Story: Stefanie London

The Pink Heart Society are delighted to welcome Debut  KISS author Stefanie London with her call story
 A year of ‘firsts’
There’s a famous quote by Eleanor Roosevelt that goes, ‘do one thing every day that scares you.’ While there are certain scary things I avoid at all costs (hello moths!), I really do believe that pushing your personal boundaries is the key to a fruitful and satisfying life.

Something that scares me is doing an activity for the first time. I always wonder if I will be terrible at it. Will I be worse than everyone else? What if I fail? What if I make a fool out of myself? Doing something I have never done before is incredibly daunting for me, and writing my first novel was no exception.

My road to publication was peppered with ‘firsts’: 



- Attempting NaNoWriMo 
- Writing something longer than a university essay (going from 3,000 words to 50,000 words is quite a jump!)
- Pitching my manuscript
- Getting a request from an editor
- Working through revisions 
- Getting ‘the call’

It was a whirlwind experience, taking place in just thirteen months between me writing ‘chapter one’ and receiving the call. Since this was the first book I’d ever written I had no high hopes, or even a sense of whether it was publishable. I went through three rounds of revisions over the course of about eight months with a very patient, very encouraging editor at the Mills and Boon UK office. 

I made all the newbie mistakes with my first manuscript. There were a cast of secondary characters, lots of coincidences and a heroine who was prone to bursting into tears. I kept waiting for her to send me an email that said ‘thanks, but no thanks’…but that email never came. Thankfully, the editor liked my voice and was willing to work with me to smooth out the rough edges.

When Flo Nicoll called me to tell me that Harlequin Mills and Boon were offering me a two book contract I was so stunned I couldn't seem to form any other words than ‘thank you’. I think that was my favourite first of all!

Since the call in December I've written a second book for Harlequin KISS and am onto my third. I feel like I learn more with each book (hopefully my editor thinks so too!)

To read the story that started a year of firsts, check out Only The Brave Try Ballet available for pre-order now. You can find our more about Stefanie London’s books at her website.


Stefanie London
Sparkling, contemporary romances with a pinch of spice

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations Stefanie and I love the title. Looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel. I'm really happy with the title, they did a great job with it!

      Delete
  2. What an awesome year for you! Congratulations and good on you for sticking with the process through all those revisions! I can't wait to read your book! (Obviously, this news is worth ALL the exclamation points, LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mz.ZeyZey! The revisions were certainly hard work but so worth it. I hope you enjoy it :)

      Delete