Harlequin KISS/Mills and Boon Modern Tempted author Heidi Rice's Top Ten reasons why she can't wait to see the 50 Shades of Grey movie next February... [hint: they all begin with Jamie... and end with Dornan!]
Ok, so there are some people reading this blog that probably hated 50 Shades of Grey and couldn't give a toss about seeing the movie when it comes out. But I have to admit I gobbled up the books for one reason, I found the tortured, taciturn and extremely f****d up character of EL James' gazillionaire dom Christian Grey fascinating.
Now you're probably saying, enough with the 50 Shades plug, what about our Male on Monday fix?
Well, I've picked Mr Dornan for the simple reason I now can't wait to see him as Mr Grey. His casting came totally out of left field for me (I was firmly on Team Henry in the run up to the announcement). But I now think his casting is inspired - especially after we dodged a bullet with the almost casting of SOA star Charlie Hunnam (more on that later).
So here are my Top Ten reasons why...
1) He's a Blank (ish) Slate: Other than his tenure as a Calvin Klein underwear model and an arresting part as a serial killer in The Fall, Jamie Dornan doesn't bring a lot of baggage from other performances to this role. And that's good, because you don't want to be thinking of Bruce Wayne while you're watching Christian Grey (and no, they're not that similar, Batman geeks/Christian Bale fans).
2) He's Buff AND Beautiful: He's completely gorgeous... But not in a fake or overblown way. He doesn't even go to the gym apparently (actually I think we can all hate him a little for that).
3) He Will Suffer for His Art: Anyone else watch New Worlds? That extremely dodgy wig? Here he is suffering under the most unflattering piece of headwear known to actor for those that missed it!
4) He Can Act: Always useful when taking on a particularly challenging role. Just saying.
5) He's Not Charlie Hunnam: Thank goodness!! FYI I was enthralled by the first season of Sons of Anarchy. Season Two not so much. Season Three was risible. I gave up on it in Season Four when Jax Teller smashed a woman's face into a table and we were supposed to still be rooting for him (and CH was beginning to look like a one-trick pony)...
6) He's British: I just stuck that in there because I am...And because the Brits are taking over Hollywood (well, all except me that is).. Although actually he's from the North of Ireland, so he may be Irish... He's definitely European though. Close enough.
7) He's Not Afraid of the Dark: There may be 50 Shades of Christian Grey but most of them are virtually black... Thankfully Mr D can definitely do dark... For evidence see The Fall below - when he was so dark he wasn't even remotely fanciable despite point 2).
8) He's Got Enough Guts to Get His Kit Off: Call me cynical but I suspect a lot of A-List Actors were too scared to take this role because it involved full frontal nudity, not something actors are usually required to do in a mainstream movie (unlike actresses!!!). Go Jamie for being true to this role and being prepared to go the full monty for us ... We fully appreciate it (but strictly for reasons of gender equality in the movies, you understand!)
9) Let's Be Cool About the Sex (Baby!): When asked about the film's sex scenes by no doubt tittering journalists his reply was totally cool: “I’m not shocked by [the sex in
the book]. It’s essential to tell the story. I can’t believe films that
don’t invoke the sexual side. So it works for me.” Note to journalists: It wasn't the kinky sex that made this book a bestseller, just ask its readers (for a change).
10) He Can Take the Piss Out of Himself: Grey has a playful side (that has nothing to do with his playroom.. sheesh!) which Ana eventually uncovers through their text and email conversations (the best bit of the book IMHO). Ultimately it's that playful side, hidden under all the darkness in his character, that makes Ana and the reader fall in love with him despite his many, many, many flaws... Watch JD on the Graham Norton Show being ridiculously cute while taking the piss out of himself (and his funny walk)... And fall in love with his playful side too.
So there you have it. My Top Ten reasons why Jamie Dornan is going to be fabulous as Christian Grey.
Win a Copy of Beach Bar Baby
Do you have an opinion? Do you think Jamie will be good, great, pants? Was there someone else you wanted to play the role? Or maybe you really don't give a flying b**t plug? Let me know in the comments and one lucky commentator will get a copy of my new Harlequin KISS/Mills & Boon Modern Tempted book Beach Bar Baby. Out this month in UK, Ireland and North America. [Winners announced in the comments thread of this post on Wednesday 7th May]
Heidi is currently working hard on a super-sekrit project... (While not busy working hard doing blogs on Jamie Dornan). She loves for readers to contact her on FB, Twitter (@HeidiRomRice), her website or her blog. And she doesn't mind a bit if they want to buy her book too - and neither does her bank manager (he made me say that!!)...