Saturday, March 08, 2014

Writing Inspiration – it’s everywhere!

PHS is very excited that Harlequin Superromance author Rachel Brimble has visited to reveal where she finds her inspiration!

I am so excited to be here at the Pink Heart Society for the very first time! The first book in my ongoing series with Harlequin Superromance was contracted in 2012 and number three, WHAT BELONGS TO HER was released on March 1st. I have contracted a total of five books in the series so far and thrilled with readers reception to my fictional UK seaside town, Templeton Cove J



Before I started writing I was always fascinated from where authors got their inspiration to keep writing book after book. How do they do that? Now I write and currently attacking my fourteenth book, I can easily say that inspiration is everywhere. In fact, half the time I have trouble concentrating on my work in progress rather than throwing myself into my next book idea.

I am often inspired by TV shows, news bulletins and the royal biographies I love to read. Whether I am reading about the Plantagenets, the Tudors or even the Windsors, there are story ideas to be tweaked and played with in all that history!

I write contemporary romance, romantic suspense and Victorian romance so more often than not, it’s a case of wrestling the idea into one of the sub-genres rather than the plot idea itself, that gives me the most trouble.

WHAT BELONGS TO HER was inspired by setting rather than history – I wanted to set a story in a fairground because I have such strong and fond memories of a fairground that came to my village at Easter every year. First crushes, teenage angst, the smells and sounds, all of it is still very clear in my mind. As Templeton Cove becomes more established with each book in my Superromance series, the easier the ideas flow.

I am just editing the Christmas 2014 book in the series and will then start plotting book five – for this one, I want to try and bring two secondary characters from either book one or three to the forefront and give them their own story…hopefully Harlequin want more books and eventually everyone who’s featured in the books will have their time in the spotlight!

What Belongs To Her is Rachel’s latest release – here’s the blurb and buy links:

She's ready to take back what's hers 
Since the moment a local crime boss claimed ownership of her family's fairground, Sasha Todd has dreamed of righting the wrong. Now it's time to act, and backing down from the man's estranged son is definitely not an option. After all, giving up her legacy to hot-blooded John Jordon means losing the chance to finally heal the wounds in her past. 
Stopping John in his tracks—and resisting the sizzle between them—is Sasha's best defense. But there's more to him than she thought, which changes everything. With what matters most at stake, she'll have to risk a brand-new future with John, or walk away from the man whose heart belongs to her.

Buy Links:




Bio:

Rachel lives with her husband and two young daughters in a small town near Bath in the UK.  After having several novels published by small US presses, she secured agent representation in 2011. In 2012, she sold two books to Harlequin Superromance and a further three in 2013. She also writes Victorian romance for Kensington--her debut was released in April 2013 and she has since signed for three more.

Rachel is a member of the Romantic Novelists Association and Romance Writers of America. When she isn’t writing, you’ll find Rachel with her head in a book or walking the beautiful English countryside with her family and beloved black Lab, Max. Her dream place to live is Bourton-on-the-Water in South West England.

She likes nothing more than connecting and chatting with her readers and fellow romance writers. Rachel would love to hear from you!

Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment