Monday, March 31, 2014

Male on Monday:Historical hotties

Harlequin Historical author Georgie Lee shares some of her favourite inspiration for the heroes she creates.

When I start to think about my heroes, the first places I look for physical inspiration are historical films. I can’t get enough of men in period costume. I still think 300 should have won an Oscar for Best Costume Design. I’ll be campaigning for 300: Rise of an Empire to take the statuette next year. However, since I’m currently writing in the Regency, I tend to focus on Regency and even Victorian era movies for ideas for how my heroes move and look. No one actor was the sole inspiration for my hero Randall in Rescued from Ruin, so I’ll share with you some of my favorite actors in films who helped me define Randall’s personality and appearance.

James Purefoy in Beau Brummell: This Charming Man was a great inspiration for a confident man with a sense of presence and style. The way he strides through the palace in the opening scenes after getting dressed always leaves me breathless.
Rufus Sewell in, well, anything. He’s a fascinating example of the man who isn’t classically handsome but there’s just something about him that makes you go weak in the knees.
Richard Armitage in North and South. He is a must watch for the strong, tortured man of few words who can make a woman’s heart flutter with just a look. I practically had palpitations while watching the mini-series.
Clark Gable as Rhett Butler in Gone with the Wind. Like my hero Randall, he is the rake with a heart of gold. Scarlett doesn’t always bring out the best in him, but his love for her makes the tough man cry. My heroine Cecelia does the same things to Randall. I just love seeing a woman bring out the softer side of a rake, don’t you?
Now that I’ve shared some of my historical inspirations, please share your favorites with me. I’m always on the lookout for another period film and a hunky historical inspiration.


A dedicated history and film buff, Georgie Lee loves combining her passion for Hollywood, history and storytelling through romantic fiction. She began writing professionally at a small TV station in San Diego before moving to Los Angeles to work in the interesting but strange world of the entertainment industry.
Her first novel, Lady’s Wager, and her contemporary novella, Rock ‘n’ Roll Reunion are both available from Ellora’s Cave Blush. Labor Relations, a contemporary romance of Hollywood, and Studio Relations, a love story set in 1935 Hollywood, are currently available from Montlake Romance. Hero’s Redemption, a Regency novella, is now available from Carina Press.  
When not writing, Georgie enjoys reading non-fiction history and watching any movie with a costume and an accent. Please visit for more information about Georgie and her novels.
Georgie's second Harlequin Historical novel, Rescued from Ruin is out now.

What the ton doesn't know... 
During the years since Randall Cheltenham, Marquess of Falconbridge, last saw Cecelia Thompson, he has turned into a dissolute rake. Catching sight of her now, bittersweet memories threaten to shatter his carefully constructed fa├žade. 
Although in the eyes of the ton Cecelia is a wealthy widow, in reality she has barely a penny to her name. Randall seems to offer a safe haven, but how can she trust a man who has hurt her before and who seems to have only become darker with the passing of time? 


  1. Yum! I'm with you on the costume design Oscars for the 300 movies, though I must confess I'm not a fan of Richard Armitage. Congratulations on your release. Rescued from Ruin is an awesome book!