Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Destination Life :: Anne McAllister

lifes journey biggerAnne is shoveling snow. Still.  Again.  Over and over. Endlessly.  It reminds her of the book she’s finishing.  Finishing?  She truly hopes so.

Life is a journey.  Even my little grandson (he in the photo) has that figured out.  And it’s a great wide fascinating world out there with lots to explore and plenty of places to go.  But sometimes it seems like a maze.

I’ve just spent the past three days on the phone to a nice man in India who is trying to figure out what is wrong with my computer. Saturday we talked for over 4 hours while he tried this and that – and then this again. And Sunday he called back in hopes that it would be all better. Um, no.  So we talked for another 3 1/2 hours while he tried all the other things he hadn’t tried the day before.

And finally we got back to the home screen and he said quickly, “Well, I will just call you tomorrow and see how thing are. All right?”  And because I felt sorry for him, I said, “Yes.”

256px-LabirintoWell, things went downhill from there. I had a computer that wouldn’t do anything. All I could see was the desktop. It wouldn’t load programs. It wouldn’t contact the internet. And when I tried to restart, it refused.  I finally bullied it into restarting. Don’t ask. And then I got it to load programs. But it still wouldn’t get online no matter how much bullying I did. 

So I went away and came back this morning, along with my now dear friend from India who said, “What do you mean it won’t go online?” And I explained. And he said, “Try this.” and then, “Try that.” And then, “Well. . . . hmmmm. I think perhaps you have a hardware issue as well.”

So . . .today he called the hardware people. Tomorrow the hardware people are calling me.  Wednesday, we hope, the hardware person is coming to put whatever new hardware I need into the computer, after which we hope it will all be well again.

We’ll see. 

In the meantime, I am cleaning my office so the hardware person can find his or her way into the mess to find the computer.  I am supposed to be writing the last of the revisions for the interminable book.  The straight line to the end looks more and more covered with whatever life is dropping on it at the moment.256px-Smith_Premier_Typewriter

I’m thinking about the virtues of the typewriter. Or the pen and pencil.

And how is your writing life these days?



life’s journey: Jacklyn Kennedy, 2011.

maze: By P tasso (Own work) CC-BY-SA-3.0, via Wikimedia Commons

typewriter: By Jon Sullivan (Bodie Typewriter, PDPhoto.org) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment