Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Figuring It Out by Jennifer Faye

Welcome to my new series ~ Figuring It Out!

Each month I plan to focus on a specific subject that I’m dealing with in my writing career. Not that I’ll have this stuff figured out, but you’ll see my attempts to make these things work in my writing life. And perhaps you’ll have some advice to share. That would be great. There’s no right way to do things. It’s whatever works best for each person.

During my first year as a published author, I had no idea what to expect or how it would unfold, so I held on tight for the ride. This year though, I’m going to consciously make decisions that will hopefully improve my writing and personal life.

This month’s subject is time management.

As 2013 came to a close, my hubby asked me if I was always going to be chained to my computer. I realized that he was right. I’ve spent the majority of my time, seven days a week, working on my computer. Life couldn’t continue that way. It was time to make some changes as I do have long-neglected hobbies I miss, a teetering TBR pile that’s getting seriously neglected and a family that I enjoy spending time with.

This meant having to cut back on things that wasn’t actual writing time. This was not an easy task. I must admit that I stressed over it for a couple of months. At last I came to the decision to cut back on my blogging as thinking up interesting topics can take me a bit. So with much sadness I stepped down from the Hot Pink Typewriter and The Chocolate Box. That was a really hard step as those ladies are all great and I miss working with them.

I also recently started sprinting (writing in one hour clips) 5 days a week with another author. She’s great at keeping me on task. I can average 1,000 words per hour. Sometimes more, sometimes less. But all in all it definitely helps with the time management because in two to three hours I can have my word count done for the day and I am able to move on to the next task on my list of things to do.

What else will I do for the sake of time management, I don’t know yet. I’m always on the lookout for new things to try. So if you have something to share, I’d love to hear your thoughts/suggestions.

Jennifer Faye’s latest release, SAFE IN THE TYCOON'S ARMS, is available for pre-order now! Online at Amazon, Amazon-UK & B&N as well as other locations. She’d love to hear from readers. You can contact her via her website.


  1. From MarcieR

    Excellent post!

    If you don't get the word count per day in the sprints, do you continue on until you do?

    Since writing is a job, I've heard some authors go to their office, or wherever they write, at a certain time each day and take breaks/lunch and then leave at a certain time. Like those who work outside the home do.

    1. Thanks Marcie.

      As for the word count per day, it all depends on such things as how much time do I have until my deadline / why was I slowed down / do I need to do some more brainstorming? then I let it go til the next day / or maybe I was distracted w/ my email or internet and will go back after supper and finish.

      I have a general time I start sprinting in the morning but there are no hard and fast rules about it. I don't say at a certain time I have to be in my chair writing. That's one of the perks of being self-employed. You can make your work schedule fit your life. Just so long as the work gets done. ;-)

  2. My word count varies from day to day...I have days where I can get ten pages written in one hour, and other days were it takes me ten hours to write one page. I just can't figure it out...

    1. Hi Angela. I totally know where you're coming from. My word counts can vary. I try not to let them vary widely unless I'm sick. But my counts can vary for a number reasons. As I mentioned sickness (like the head cold I'm fighting now) / distractions (there are too many to name. lol.) / unprepared for the scene (need more brainstorming) / tiredness. There are countless reasons. The only thing you can do is set a daily word count that is reasonable for a day-to-day routine and then try your best to achieve it. Happy writing! :-)