Thursday, January 23, 2014

Change: A Writer's Best Friend? -- Harmony Evans

We are well into 2014 and I promised myself that I would NOT make any New Year's Resolutions.
I typically break them within hours of making them anyway, so what's the point? 

The weird thing is I've been thinking 
about making a ton of changes in my life this year. 

Some will be the results of choices I've made. Others will be because it's the right time. 

All I know is that lately I've been feeling that sense of nervous excitement.  That something new is on the horizon this year and I don't know what it is yet. 

Regardless, CHANGE is a scary word, isn't it? Sometimes I prefer to use the word TRANSITION instead. Being in a time of "transition", rather than "change", is less stressful and more hopeful to wrap my head around.

From the unpredictability of publishing (digital and print) to changes in editors, agents and guidelines, writers deal with change all the time. We want to see our careers transition from amateur to professional, our books from mid-list to bestseller, our characters from one-sided to multi-dimensional to unforgettable, and so much more. 

But should we as writers actively embrace change? 

YES! Here are three reasons why:
  1. It changes our perspective.
  2. It gives us more fodder for creativity.
  3. It's going to happen anyway, whether we like it our not.
So how do we actively embrace something where the outcome can be often unknown"
  • Accept that the change is occurring or will occur soon.
  • Decide how you will react. 
  • Make a plan and a timeline of the steps you will need to take to make it successful. 
  • Take steady action on your steps. 
For me, one of the transitions I’m going through now is finally letting go of past disappointments. Although they provide plenty of emotional fodder for my books, they’re also like a noose around my neck. This one is a toughie and something I’ve been struggling with for years.

My daughter will also be going off to high school in the fall -- so lots of changes there. 

From the writer’s perspective, I’m deciding on whether to get an agent or continue to fly solo for a while. Another complete unknown that could be very important to my career!

What transitions you are going through now or changes you’d like to make in 2014? Please share your comments below and embrace change! :)

Be blessed,

Harmony Evans lives in Ohio and writes contemporary romance for Harlequin Kimani Romance. Her second book, STEALING KISSES is set in New York City and tells the story of a mega-sexy, super-rich pro basketball star and the life coach who may hold the key to his most valuable possession -- his heart.  Learn more about Harmony at

No comments:

Post a Comment