Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Call Story: Robin Gianna

We love a call story here at Pink Heart and today we are delighted to welcome new medical author Robin Gianna.  Take it away Robin!

 


I’m so happy to be here at the Pink Heart Society!

 

I’ve been working at this crazy fiction-writing thing for quite a few years. Life has a way of getting in the way of goals like getting a book published and having a writing career, though, not to mention it’s a pretty tough and competitive world out there in publishing-land!

 

At the beginning of 2012, I decided it was time to either work harder or quit.  Since quitting just didn’t seem like an option, I buckled down to work on several projects. One of them was a medical romance after I saw that Harlequin Mills & Boon was offering a ‘Fast Track’ submission, requiring just one chapter and a synopsis for that series. This sounded fun!  My husband is a doctor, my critique partner is an ER doc, and I have numerous friends and relatives in medicine to bother with questions - I could do this!  Harlequin M&B asked to see more, and I finished the book. That summer I was also lucky enough to acquire an agent, and in May of 2013 I got The Call.

 

I was at my 8th grade son’s track meet, and my daughter had just gotten home from college. My husband was able to get there, too, so it was great they were with me when my agent, Cori Deyoe of Three Seas Literary, called. At first she teased me, making me think it was another rejection, then finally told me I’d been offered a two-book contract from Harlequin Mills & Boon Medical Romance. I’m sure I was shrieking in the poor woman’s ear, and my husband and daughter were grinning like mad. Problem was, it was super-windy and the crowd was cheering—not for me, for the runners. ;-)  I could hardly hear Cori!  After we hung up, I was worried that maybe I hadn’t heard her correctly. That I’d gotten it all wrong, and I was afraid to tell anyone until I’d spoken with her again!

 

Thankfully, it really was a contract. And after crossing that finish line after a long marathon, I realized that a new starting line was right there. A website to design and social media to learn as well as other promotional things, another book to write and edits on the first...wow, it’s a real job that’s a lot of work!

 

But it’s worth every moment of it to have achieved my dream, and be learning more every day about what it takes to be a published author.

 

I’d love to know how you decided what genre/sub-genres you like to write, and if it’s different from what you read.  I’d also love to know what makes you decide to pick up a book and take a chance on it if you don’t know the author.  I’ll be giving away a tote bag and print book of Changed By His Son’s Smile to a commenter!

 

 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. I have been going by other authors' recommendations on blogs/web sites. I learn a little bit about the authors, read the back blurb, and get an excerpt to help me decide which new authors' books to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting that you take into account all of the above when deciding to read a book, Laney! I've been told over and over about the importance of the back blurb - I know I always read it, too, when I'm decided whether or not to pick up a book. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From MarcieR

    I read Harlequin SuperRomance the most, then Special Edition. Mainly because I feel I can relate to the characters more than I can say characters in Blaze.

    Taking a chance on a new author - I read the back cover copy and then the excerpt to determine if I want the whole book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you mean, Marcie. There are Harlequin lines I particularly enjoy, and others not as much - I guess that's why there are so many! Different flavors for different tastes :-) Here's hoping that some time you'll be tempted to try a Medical Romance!
    Thanks for stopping by!

    Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I put Laney and Marcie's names in a hat, and Laney is the winner!
    Laney, please email me with your contact information and address so I can mail you your print copy of Changed By His Son's Smile and a tote bag. You can also direct message me on my Robin Gianna Facebook page. Thanks again for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just sent my email (hopefully to the right address). THANKS SO MUCH!

    ReplyDelete