Sunday, November 03, 2013

Writer's Workspace: Harmony Evans

The Pink Heart Society is delighted to have a sneak peak into award winning Kimani author Harmony Evans' writing space.
Hi there. I’m Harmony and I write for Harlequin Kimani Romance and I’m so happy to be blogging here today on The Pink Heart Society about where I write my books. 


I currently rent a small home where I live with my teenage daughter. I actually do most of my writing in my bedroom. As a single mom, it sometimes difficult to carve my own space, but I think I’ve done a pretty good job with my writing desk. It’s filled with all the things I love, plus reminders of where I’ve been and where I’d like to be.


My desk is actually a vintage, French Provincial style vanity with a matching chair that I purchased for $50 at an antique shop when I first moved in. Here’s a wider shot:


On it, I have my MacBook Pro, my iPod and my external hard drive. I’m pretty paranoid about losing my work, so I always save multiple copies in multiple places. Hanging over the hard drive is my badge from the 2013 Ohioana Book Festival -- my first book signing ever!



In back of my computer is a mirror that I picked from a curb when I lived in Queens, NY many moons ago. I saw the beveled glass and ornate detailing and fell in love with it. When I’m frustrated, I look in the mirror and smile and it lifts my spirits. To the left, is a leopard-spotted lamp I bought at a garage sale. I love the fringe and the beads!



There’s also lots of stuff my daughter either bought or made for me, including felt hearts, a dolphin painting, a button doll, a horseshoe, a bunch of paper flowers, and a dream catcher.

All remind me of the love we share, as well as, the importance of creativity and imagination.



To the side and perched on a knitting canister are my well-worn thesaurus, dictionary and synonym finder. These get used very frequently, as you can probably tell by their condition. Unfortunately, although I love to knit, I don’t have much time these days!


Lastly, to the right is the Romance Slam Jam Emma Award I received for 2013 Debut Author of the Year. RSJ celebrates authors of African-American and Multicultural fiction.



The award is in the shape of a book, pretty cool, huh?


I keep it on my desk to remind me of how far I’ve come in my writing...and as a motivator for the journey ahead!

Harmon y Evans is an award-winning author for Harlequin Kimani Romance, the leading publisher of African-American romance. She is the recipient of the 2013 Romance Slam Jam Emma Award for “Debut Author of the Year”. In addition, she was a 2012 Romantic Times Reviewers’ Choice Awards Double-Finalist (“First Series Romance” and “Kimani Romance”). Her 2nd novel, STEALING KISSES, is available now.

Harmony is a single mom to a beautiful, too-smart-for-her-own-good daughter, who makes her grateful for life daily. Her biggest dream is to someday live and write in Paris, France. Currently, she resides in Cleveland, Ohio, home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Be sure to connect with Harmony on your favorite social media network!

Life coach Natalie Kenyon helps her famous clients achieve happiness and lasting intimacy in their personal lives. But pro-basketball all-star Derek Lansing isn't so easy to pin down. His rags-to-riches story takes hold of Natalie's heart and his first electric touch ignites an irresistible desire. It could be a lose–lose if she becomes the sexy player's next conquest! 



  1. Love your desk, Harmony! And I often mutter Phil 4:13 to myself on a sticky writing day. ;-)

  2. Glad you like it! I love antiques and thrifty things. You know, I find that I'm turning to that scripture a lot lately. It's great to have it right in front of me. I am in MAJOR deadline mode. :) Thanks for stopping by!