When one of my book deadlines is marching nearer, I need to keep my focus on cowboys, soldiers, and tales of adventure and romance, but gosh darn it all, my two grade school kids and husband expect to be fed dinner—EVERY NIGHT! Can you believe their nerve (lol)???
Luckily, I’m equipped with crockpot recipes that are as easy to plan and cook as they are delicious. One of my favorite dishes is Crockpot French Dip Sandwiches, which was introduced to me by my husband’s family many years ago while on a family retreat at a mountain cabin. I fixed this meal for my family while finishing COWBOY JUSTICE, which came out last month, and it’s my pleasure to share it with you and your family.
Melissa’s French Dip Sandwiches
- A beef roast with good marbling — the size depending on your family’s size and appetites, and the cut depending on what’s on sale.
- 1 sweet onion, sliced
- 1 can Campbell’s condensed French Onion Soup
- 1 can Campbell’s condensed Beef Consume or beef broth
- A pack of sandwich rolls
- Optional toppers: provolone cheese, horseradish sauce, stone ground mustard, hot sauce
- Turn the crockpot on low to get it warming up. Layer the onions on the bottom.
- Set beef roast on top of onions.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then pour the two cans of soup over it and cover.
- Cook on low, covered, for 8-10 hours, or until you can pull pieces of meat off with a fork.
- Transfer the beef to a cutting board. Trim of visible fat, then use two forks to shred the meat. Return shredded meat to the crockpot and stir it up with the broth.
- Warm the sandwich rolls in the oven, set out the optional condiments, then let your family serve themselves straight from the crockpot using tongs. You can also provide a ladle and little bowls if your family likes to dip the sandwiches in the yummy broth as they eat.
Easy, right? If you try this recipe and enjoy it, please drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org or post a message on my Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/MelissaCutlerBooks) to let me know. My husband’s family would be tickled to know that their recipe is being used all over the country and world by romance readers and writers!
Giveaway: I'm giving away a copy (print or digital) of COWBOY JUSTICE to one commenter, so tell me, what’s your favorite easy crockpot recipe?
My thanks to Pink Heart Society for hosting me today. I love hearing from readers and am really easy to find at www.melissacutler.net, on Facebook (www.facebook.com/MelissaCutlerBooks ), and Twitter (@m_cutler). And you can always email me at email@example.com or sign up for my newsletter (http://www.melissacutler.net/newsletter ) to find out about my latest books and upcoming events.
Melissa Cutler is a flip-flop wearing Southern California native living with her family in beautiful San Diego. In 2008, she decided to take her romance novel devotion to the next level by penning one herself. She now divides her time between her dual passions for writing sexy, small town contemporaries for Kensington Books and edge-of-your-seat romantic suspense for Harlequin.