Thursday, October 10, 2013

Write Away with Jeannie Watt: Life After Deadline

I have a writing process that I think many authors share. I have a decent synopsis, but it doesn't quite pan out. The characters start behaving differently than I first anticipated--or worse yet, stop behaving at all. I sit down to write everyday, like I should, but meander as I try to figure out the right path for the hero and heroine to take to their HEA. I have time, so I don't panic--much--in the beginning, but as time starts ticking away, I start to feel more and more desperate and then suddenly I get a glimpse of what I've been searching for. The path. It's there. Unfortunately, it's also now three weeks to deadline and I have many thousands of words to write while I work a full time job and commute over 2 hours a day.

My process always goes like this--even when I do daily word counts. (Word counts don't solve plot problems and character arc challenges.) So I spent the last few weeks putting the story I'd finally figured out onto paper--and here's what I didn't do during the past three weeks:

1) Housework
2) Exercise

I emerged from the deadline cave, blinking at the sunlight and wondering what happened to my house. And why are my pants so tight?

I'm happy to say, I've enjoyed putting the house right again (amazing how high I can stack things) and exercise is once again on the agenda. I'm sore, but back at it.  I'm also working on proposals, and you know what? This time I'm certain that I can write a synopsis that my characters will agree to follow.

Harlequin Superromance author Jeannie Watt lives in rural Nevada and writes fast-paced, character driven stories set in the western United States.   To find out more about Jeannie and her books, please visit her website. Her latest book, Once a Champion, is currently available online at AmazonBarnes and Noble and Harlequin.


  1. LOL, Jeannie. This pattern sounds so familiar ;). Glad you survived your deadline (without any stacks falling on you ;).

  2. From MarcieR

    This seems to be your process no matter what huh?
    I wish those silly characters would obey you so you don't have stacks of stuff and have to unbutton your pants to breathe.
    And even though it's heck on you - I do the end result.

    1. OMG! I left out a very important word -

      I LOVE the end result.