Thursday, August 15, 2013

Random Thoughts:Exploring a New Genre

At Pink Heart Society we are all about the romance.

But as you are well aware romance comes in many forms.  And one form I've recently been exploring is the Young Adult variety.  I have a 13 year old son who has finally become a reader and have been trying to find books for him that I think he'll enjoy.  This had led me to discover a fabulous whole host of new authors and fall in love with a completely different genre.

Not all Young Adult books cover romance.  Some don't even touch on it.  Others weave through their books so well you don't even notice it is there.  When I was a teenager I had a choice of Sweet Valley High or Sweet Valley High.  Times have changed.

A few recommendations, Katie McGarry's RITA nominated book Pushing the Limits.  Rick Yancey alien invasion The 5th Wave.  The whole series of Gone books by Michael Grant (my son and I fought over the last one when it arrived in the post!)  Beth Revis's Across the Universe books. 

Times have changed so much.  It seems anything goes in teenage fiction. Feel free to give me any other recommendations.  In the meantime I have some ideas for teenage fiction of my own, spurred on by my two sons and what they want to read.

I'll let you into a secret.

 
 
I bet you could have guessed!!!  I've even bought some books for research.  You have no idea what I've found about dinosaurs!
 
In the meantime my romance writing is flying.  Sometimes I wonder if stepping away into something new gives you space for new ideas?
 
Wait a minute??  Did I say space?  Where's my pencil, I've got another idea....

2 comments:

  1. Interesting....I think might check out the Gone books. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll love them Caroline, really gripping series x

    ReplyDelete