Saturday, August 31, 2013

Pets and Their Authors – Karen Whiddon

Today the Pink Heart Society welcomes author Karen Whiddon and her three adorable dogs. Take it away, Karen!

When I was asked to do a blog about writers and their pets, I was thrilled.  Because I am a dog person.  More than that - my dogs are my fur-kids.    I can't imagine a life without them. 

I have three.  Mitchell Thomas, a twelve year old Miniature Schnauzer; Mac Macadoo, a seven year old Boxer, and Liberty Belle, a two year old Boxer.  In addition to them, I also foster for Legacy Boxer Rescue.  My current foster is Katniss, a 3-4 year old Boxer.  She hangs out with my retired husband while the others stay with me.





Since I write full time, I get to be with my dogs all day.  They are my writing companions.  Even in the Spring or Fall, when I get to write outside in my backyard swing, they keep me company.   This is, for me, one of the best things about working from home!
                   
In my home, my dogs want for nothing.  I recently bought them new, orthopedic, memory foam, cooling beds.  (For the big dogs - Mitchell sleeps in bed with us!)



I also love to put dogs in my stories.  I had a German Shepherd dog in The Wolf Princess and the Wolf Prince, various dogs in The Wolf Whisperer, and there's even a Boxer in my newest short on-line read for Harlequin Romantic Suspense.    


For me, one of the most rewarding aspects of my life is the volunteer work my husband and I do for Legacy Boxer Rescue. (www.savetheboxers.com)  We evaluate dogs in shelters as well as owner surrenders so they can find foster homes, transport dogs from shelters (or owner surrenders) to vets or their new foster home, visit with potential applicants to adopt dogs, as well as foster dogs and help he or she find a forever home.    It's difficult work sometimes - and I often cry - but more rewarding than anything I've ever done.

To find out more about Karen and her books, please visit her website.

3 comments:

  1. It is fantastic that you foster for a boxer rescue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have dogs but over the years I have walked a lot of dogs.(Members of my extended family.) I would bet the Boxers are easier to walk than the Miniature Schnauzer. The little dogs just seem to have endless energy and pulling power and just want to go go go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always found worth content here,Would like to visit your blog again.Keep posting interesting articles like this..

    ReplyDelete