Tuesday, July 09, 2013

The Learning Curve of the New Author

It’s here! It’s here! Yay!


After what I thought would be forever until I could hold my very first book in my hands. The time between getting “The Call” and my debut flew by so quickly. There were just so many things to do.

My Life in Review - Post-“Call”:

Since October 18th I…

built a new website and started a blog. I’ve gotten active on Twitter, FB, Tumblr and Goodreads. I also continued hanging out at the Harlequin Community where I’ve been a wallflower for more years than I want to admit. LOL. Let’s just say that I’ve been around for a few upgrades to different formats for the forums. ;-)

What else is there? I worked on a book blog tour which I’m on now. If you’d like a chance to win a free book and possibly some swag, you can check out my tour schedule here. Each stop is definitely different from intriguing, lol questions to a recipe. And the giveaways vary as well. Hope to see you there.

This period has definitely been a crash course in promo/marketing. I’ll admit that I’ve dreamed of being published for so long that I might have been a little exuberant. But I’m throwing everything out there and seeing what sticks/works. I honestly have no idea how else to do it. And let me tell you, as many places as there are to find information about writing techniques there’s few sources for showing you how to promote your work.

I asked an author friend about this. She said that if people knew what worked as far as marketing, they’d package it up and be millionaires. She advised that some of it is dedication, another part is timing and a big part is luck. If I had some words of wisdom about the marketing side of writing, I’d share them with you, but I’m still fumbling around in the dark. Speaking of which, where did I leave that flashlight??? ;-)

Also since October, I did revisions on book #2, SNOWBOUND WITH THE SOLDIER. This is a story that’s very close to my heart. I’m exceedingly happy that it will make its debut into the world on October 1st.

I got my very first review and it was from RT Book Reviews where they named RANCHER TO THE RESCUE a Top Pick! I was thrilled beyond belief. Trust me my stomach was twisted in knots waiting to see if they thought I was a total hack or not. LOL. And now it’s almost time to worry about their determination of book #2. *bites nails*

Along the way, I received a new Harlequin Romance contract and I am finishing up book #3, there really is light at the end of my writing tunnel, ;-) I’m also punting around ideas for book #4. So while I’m out on my book blog tour, in the background I’m writing away as I have a couple of July deadlines.

MY BEST ADVICE: The one thing I have learned through all of this is that the writing must come first. The next book is your best promo. If a reader likes you, your voice or your book, they are going to want another book. So the more you write, the more they can read and the happier you’ll keep your readers. ;-)

And that is my last several months in review. *big happy sigh*

Now the fun part, do you have any questions? I'll do my best to share what I've learned, but I'm still learning every day. :-)





Jennifer Faye’s debut, RANCHER TO THE RESCUE, is available NOW! at AmazonB&N, Harlequin.com & many other locations including store shelves. She’d love to hear from you via Twitter, her website, or Facebook.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing these details of your exciting journey, Jennifer! You are positively an inspiration! I am many, many footsteps behind you on my own personal writing journey, but knowing you're sprinting ahead and blazing the trail makes it so much easier to tread the path.

    The Harlequin forum has been such a great discovery for me as well. Love the wonderful community of romance writers there and all the support and advice they and the Harlequin editors so generously share. It's a treasure trove for aspiring novelists.

    Lisa Weaver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I try. :-)

      And yes, I love the Harlequin forums. I've learned so much from them and met so many wonderful people there.

      Delete
  2. Hi there ... thanks for sharing your experience.

    It really is great, I think, to get a perspective from others ... it gives hope, gives inspiration and an education!!!

    (especially when you realise you're not as incapable as you might think!!!)

    All the best, Cheeries

    Gabrielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Gabrielle!

      I'm thrilled to think that I am any sort of help to other writers. :-)

      Delete
  3. Cheers and accolades for your hard work and dedication! Best wishes with your book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Jennifer--that's very savvy advice from someone new to the business. "The one thing I have learned through all of this is that the writing must come first." Very true.

    Congratulations on your debut book! Hope we get to meet at RWA. If not, see you on the HQ boards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Julie. Thanks so much for chatting. :-)

    I can't take credit for the wonderful advice. It's just one of the things I've learned along the way.

    Thanks for the kind words. And I'm afraid I won't be able to make Nationals, but I'll be thinking of all of you. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete