Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Temptation Tuesday with Nina Harrington

Today The Pink Heart Society welcomes Harlequin author Nina Harrington, who will tell us about her adventures writing in two genres. Take it away, Nina!

Writing in Two Romance Genres – The Spice of Life or Double the Trouble?
For the past five years I have been writing warm and witty contemporary romance for the Harlequin Romance, RIVA and KISS lines.

But in February this year I yielded to the most indulgent temptation of all - the lure of writing something completely different in a brand new genre for me. Romantic suspense.

Like most authors I am an obsessive reader and always have been. My bookshelves are double stacked with books from every genre, both fiction and non-fiction. But the books that I read for pleasure are almost always commercial contemporary romance and crime novels.  I love authors such as Jennifer Crusie, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Tess Gerritsen, Allison Brennan, Tami Hoag, David Baldacci, Karen Rose and P. J. Tracy.

A mixed diet to fill my creative well.

So when the story idea and characters came to me for a light hearted romantic mystery set in an Italian delicatessen, I decided to have fun and explore where the story took me.
Time to indulge in themes such as Italian food and wine, female friendship and family secrets, all blended into a delicious cocktail with a dash of romance between my Irish-Italian heroine Bunty and the hot Italian lawyer Fabio who delivers a very intriguing 30th birthday present from her estranged Italian family.

The result is my single title romantic mystery ‘Recipe for Disaster’ which is released on July 31st as an e-book from the new digital publishing wing of Harlequin UK – Carina UK.

The writing process has proven quite fascinating. Although it is a very different style and structure I have found that the character development craft I have learnt from writing 15 category romance novels adds an extra layer to the story which I hope my Harlequin readers will enjoy just as much as those who adore a fun romantic mystery.

I had great fun along the way and unlike most of my favourite temptations [ hide that trifle!] this delicious indulgence is completely calorie free.

To discover even more about Nina Harrington, and to keep up with her latest projects and shenanigans, you can visit her at:

No comments:

Post a Comment