Saturday, June 01, 2013

Writer'sWorkspace: Nina Harrington

PHS is delighted to visit with Harlequin KISS author Nina Harington and discover where she creates her sparkling books.



For me, one of the delights in reading and writing, fiction is seeing familiar places in a completely new way through the eyes of the characters on the page.

I love to travel and often come home from a holiday or research trip bursting with ideas about how my heroes and heroines can fall in love in the wonderful locations which I have come to know.

And that is when the fun part starts. Preplanning and exploring ideas in what we like to call the back bedroom of my home in Hampshire, UK.

I am lucky enough to have my own office where I can close the door and escape into the world of heroes and heroines - usually with my feet up on this sofa with a lap tray and a pad of paper and pen.

Behind my head are scans of the book covers of the many foreign translations of my Harlequin Romance and RIVA and now KISS titles. Each frame holds 16 covers and I am pleased to say that they are soon filled up.

The bookshelves hold one copy of each book and the extra author copies.

And below my books and reading materials? Box files. I am addicted to writing craft and squirrel away snippets and print outs as soon as I find them. Plus ideas for new books and research material.   This can soon build up since I write contemporary romance for Harlequin, romantic mystery for Carina UK and have several manuscripts in various stages.

Without my boxes I probably would be in a total muddle!

Same with my desk and white board.

As a former scientist I need a sense of order to be able to focus on the creative side of writing without lots of distractions.

But when it comes to the writing? I love to use colour and sensual detail to flavour my romance fiction.  As an example, several years ago I was fortunate enough to visit India and was overwhelmed by the astonishing colours, amazing history and wonderful welcome I experienced in this exciting country. 

 

‘The First Crush is the Deepest’ is my first contemporary romance for the Harlequin KISS line and to mark the occasion I just knew that I had to bring some of the vibrant sensual details and variety of India into the romance.

Sam Richards had been working as a celebrity gossip columnist in major American cities. But nothing is going to prepare him for the coast of Kerala and the concert pianist he left behind ten years earlier.

Amber DuBois has her own reasons for escaping to India. And the last person she wants to share them with is the boy who was her first kiss, her first love and who broke her heart. Unless of course he can show her why she has never been able to forget him and fall in love all over again.

I had such fun writing this first book in a series about three friends and I look forward to sharing them with you.

You can find out more and read an extract of the opening chapter on my website:


__________________________________________________________

The First Crush Is the Deepest by Nina Harrington

June 2013. ISBN: 9780373207190 (#20)

Back of the Book


You never forget your first…

Sam Richards was Amber DuBois's first crush, first kiss and first love. Until he broke her heart and left town.

Now older and wiser, world-famous concert pianist Amber is at a crossroads in her life. But the sweetheart who spurned her is back—hotter, richer and in need of a favor! Glamour, romance and old heartaches resurface, but will her first crush stand the test of time?

___________________________________________________________________

*Harlequin


*Harlequin Australia

The First Crush Is The Deepest/Secrets & Saris by Nina Harrington, Shoma Narayanan


Release date: 06/2013. Imprint: Mills & Boon Sexy DUO


*Amazon uk


*Amazon.com


 

2 comments:

  1. Wow Nina I am seriously impressed, I love your office and the framed book covers it's a fabulous idea.

    Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Helen. The sofa is 30 years old and I use it daily for all of that "plotting" especially after lunch, cough. LOL Nina.

    ReplyDelete