Saturday, June 22, 2013

Writer's Workspace:CC Coburn

The Pink Heart Society is delighted to visit with Harlequin American Romance author CC Coburn

This is my designated writing space within our tiny Cotswold’s cottage. It’s very different from my large study in Australia, but here in my new home in England, the cottage is so small that rooms have to be multi-purpose!
This is actually the sitting room - aka the freezer room - because in winter, it’s perishingly cold! That’s thanks to single-paned, stone mullioned windows that are a feature of Cotswolds stone houses. The photo looking out through the windows of my study-come-sitting room was taken by my dear friend and fellow author, Cathleen Ross, who recently came to stay. My writing space also doubles as a guest bedroom!
When sitting at my desk, I look out over fields, that I’ve been told by my elderly neighbour, were until recently grazed by cows. The cows have moved on as the farm they lived on has now been sold to someone wealthy who didn’t want cows in his back yard.
A few weeks ago, a beautiful horse with a long, impossibly thick, black tail lived in the field, but he’s moved on too. I’m not sure if this had something to do with the dandelions that were all over the place and perhaps give horses tummy upsets, but this is one of the many questions I ponder on as I look out my beautiful windows. Below the windows is a flower bed. At the moment it’s populated with poppies, their bright orange and pink heads waving in the breeze. Soon they’ll be replaced with the roses that are in bud.
I find this environment very relaxing. I’d like to say it’s inspiring, but I spend way too much time outside enjoying our garden and the sound of birdsong everywhere.
I loving English village life and maybe one day soon, I’ll set a book in a village like this. But then again, I’m not sure I could do it justice, unlike Jilly Cooper’s, The Man Who Made Husband’s Jealous, a fabulous read that got me wanting to live in an English village and here we are, seemingly decades later, doing just that.
So, back to the room, it has a fireplace we don’t use, but I think the jackdaws do judging by the amount of rubbish that comes down the chimney every now and again. I think I have to get a man to deal with that. It also houses an enormous television we brought with us from Australia, but never watch as we live in the snug in our kitchen next door. There’s a bookcase that looks as though the books will tumble out, a large, sectional sofa we also brought with us from Australia, that doubles as guest accommodation. The sofa sleeps three so it’s quite a good sized room, but since as the saying goes: “visitors, like fish, go off after three days”, I don’t encourage too much “visiting”! Cathleen of course being the exception. Smile
I’ve been tempted to have the wall between this room and the snug/kitchen demolished, but it’s two feet thick and was built a hundred years ago of stone, plus, I hate to think of the dust that would ensue. It would also then create one less room in a very small house with very few rooms, so perhaps we’ll leave it as it is and find better solutions for heating it – like installing a wood-burning stove that miraculously loads itself. Yes! I can see that working - me, curled up on the big sofa, my feet tucked under a blanket, the fire blazing as I read someone else’s books - instead of writing my own!
 
To learn more about CC Coburn, please visit her website http://www.cccoburn.com/  Her next novel which is independantly published  The Cowboy, The Cheat, His Ex-Wife and Her Vibrator releases this week -- available at all good ebook shops.

14 comments:

  1. Oh gorgeous! So it's also a guest bedroom you say ;)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! yes, Ally, so once your kids are grown, have their bags packed and have left home, you can come visit (provided Cathleen hasn't seconded the room as a psychic reading studio) which come to think of it, she already did while she was here!

      Delete
  2. Hello C.C
    Let me tell you all that C.c is the most wonderful host. Very good company and very caring, but don't tell everyone or they'll all want to go and visit her. I had a lovely time but I did numerous things to earn my keep. I cooked delicious chicken soup for her sick daughter, spezatino and polenta and various other dishes. C.c introduced me at her village pub as an erotic writing psychic. After that I was swamped with visitors popping up behind C.c's hedges requesting readings. I'm sure I am quite legendary and now that none of you will live up to my famous or infamous visit so you'll only be able to stay three days leaving more time for me. Oh and I forgot to tell you that C.c.s latest book is fun, flirty and a fantastic read.
    Best
    Cathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved having you stay, Cathleen, the pub isn't the same without you. Neither are the villagers - they seem very annoyed I don't possess your psychic skills. Andyes, please come back soon, I need a good home-cooked meal!

      Delete
  3. Hi CC

    I do love the cover and title of the new book I love your stories always so goog :-)

    Love the photos of your new home and hearing about village life it is cold and raining here in Sydney hope the weather is good over there

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. goog??? :-)
    I hope the weather improves for you Helen. It's not that warm here in The Cotswolds actually and it's the second day of summer! But at least I don't need an electric blanket.
    Will let you know When my book goes free on Amazon so you can download!
    And why pray tell doesn't this blogger thingy remember me so I don't have to keep entering my details - argh! (that was a rhetorical question, Helen)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I really should check my spelling :)

      Good to hear that the weather is warming up for you I woke this morning to more rain I think today will be a good day to stay home and read

      Have Fun
      Helen

      Delete
  5. Gosh it looks beautiful, CC! Lucky Cathleen, visiting with you. How amazing - and wonderful - that it was a book that inspired you to live in an English village. I think that's just lovely. May you live there for many long and happy years! And also keep producing the heart-warming books we all love to read.
    Malvina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your always kind words, Malvina!

      Delete
  6. It looks beautiful CC - even to a Brit used to little cottages/the weather/gardens . . . but where's the hedgehog? Oh - and having just had a wall knocked down to enlarge our kitchen I think you'd be wise to avoid the dust - and ours was only a brick wall! I'm still recovering - though the effect is wonderful -now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate. Sorry, the hedgehog is hiding, he's camera shy. Yep,I'm pretty sure those plans to open up the kitchen and living room have been well and truly shelved - otherwise I'd need to find somewhere else in the house to write because my husband would be banging saucepans and generally making a lot of noise to remind me it's dinnertime!

      Delete
  7. Awesome to see the pictures and hear so much about your gorgeous study, CC. We're missing you in Australia! But it's lovely to see how well set up you are over there. Can't wait to read "The Cowboy, the cheat, his ex-wife and her vibrator"!

    Louise (can't seem to get the profile thing happening)

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI C.C., your writing space is charming and your garden beautiful. Sometimes dreams aren't all they're cracked up to be when you actually get to experience them--sounds like your dream of English village life has come true in the most satisfying way!
    I'm looking forward to reading your new book. Who couldn't be intrigued with a title like that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the photos, C.C. Your English cottage and adjoining fields sound wonderful. Keith is cooking? How good is that?

    ReplyDelete