Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Learning Curve of the New Author

A Month of Surprises & Opportunities

It’s hard to believe this is my sixth installment of the New Author segment. The halfway point. Where does
the time go? And come December does that mean I’m no longer new??? Oh the crazy questions that meander through this writer’s grey matter. ;-)

Anyway, can you believe it? In less than a month, it’ll be my official release of my debut, RANCHER TO THE RESCUE. :-)

Let me tell you the newness and firsts have not faded away…AT ALL. My email is constantly full of surprises from generous offers from some very kind people…to amazing news…

One awesome email I got this month was to notify me the proposal of my current WIP, you might have heard me refer to it as Mr. GQ and the hammer-wielding heroine, has been accepted and gone to contract. So I am back on deadline. *bounces with joy* I love writing for Harlequin Romance. I’ve said it before and I truly mean it, “It’s a lifetime dream come true.”

And thanks to Wendy S. Marcus, who kindly tweeted me to let me know that RANCHER TO THE RESCUE hit the Harlequin Bestseller List its first week out. I was surprised and deeply touched. A BIG, HUGE thank you to those readers who bought a copy. I really hope you enjoy it.

But the surprises didn’t stop there. I also learned of my first foreign sale. Squee! SNOWBOUND WITH THE SOLDIER will be appearing in India in October.

*big happy sigh* It certainly has been an amazing month.

This past month has also lent itself to new opportunities. I know as writers, we want to do the writing and let the promo/marketing/exposure take care of itself. But I can tell you as much as work as the marketing side of writing is, it’s also rewarding.

I have met so many wonderful people these past several months. And they are so kind and willing to help this newbie as I learn what it is I should be doing. ;-)

Opportunities are all around, for both published and unpublished. You just have to keep your eyes open. And when they present themselves, take a deep breath and jump. I know there’s that little voice in your head that has all sorts of reason not to take on one more responsibility, but what fun is there in playing it safe?

And the best part is that these opportunities seem to lend themselves to other great opportunities. It has been amazing. Most days I don’t know what to expect.

Such as today, I’d contacted someone from a group I’m in about a review. She was quite willing to read my debut. I was thrilled! Today I heard back from her as she’d told some other women in her group about my debut and now they all want to read and review it. I was deeply touched that they all wanted to check out my debut and set aside time from their lives in order to read my book. But none of that would have happened if I hadn’t kept my eyes open and saw that this person was open to books like I write and contacted her. So one review grew into four reviews.

Opportunities are like crayons, they come in all colors and sizes. You just have to be open to them and be willing to hold your breath and jump. Not always easy feat for an introvert like myself, but I’m learning to come out of my shell more.

Now it’s your turn, do you have any questions? Any Behind-The-Book things you’ve been wondering about? I’ll do my best to answer your questions.





Jennifer Faye’s debut, RANCHER TO THE RESCUE, is available NOW at Harlequin.com. Or it’s up for Pre-order at Amazon & B&N. She’d love to hear from you via Twitter, her website, or Facebook.

11 comments:

  1. From MarcieR

    Are you able to tell us (me) what types of deadlines are written into a contract (besides the obvious of when the book is due)?
    For example - once you get revisions, is there a timeframe of when they are due?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marcie!

      From my limited experience just the delivery date of the full manuscript is printed in the front of the contract.

      As for revisions, there are generic time-frames listed in the contract such as you have so many days to return the edits, but I've always worked mine out with my editor. Your turn around will hinge a lot on where your book falls on the production schedule.

      Also in the contract is the # of days to return your author alliterations but the CE (copy editor) states in her email when they are due back. Hope that helps.

      Delete
    2. From MarcieR

      Yes, it helps! A lot!!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your debut. I've always wondered about author edits and line edits. Are they as scary as they sound? Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline! :-)

      Edits are different with each book and I can't really predict what's going to be in them. I have learned to discount the editor's comment of whether a change is easy or hard. She might tell me to change some dialogue from a "yes" to a "no". To her that's an easy change. To the writer, pulling on that story string can unravel the rest of the story. It all depends. Sometimes she thinks something is going to be a big change and really it's just rewording a few passages. Again it depends.

      And I am very lucky as I am edited out of the London office so I don't do line edits. They are done in-house. ;-)

      All-in-all by the time I hand in my edited/revised manuscript, I appreciate my editor's advice. I have a much stronger story and hopefully the readers will have a better reading experience.

      Delete
  3. Hey, Jennifer,

    Just wanted to say I'm looking forward to reading your debut as well!

    Abbi :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Abbi!

      Thanks so much! I hope you like it. Fingers crossed. :-)

      Delete