Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Write at Home Mom with Tawny Weber


The Pink Heart Society is thrilled to welcome Harlequin Blaze author Tawny Weber, who will pass along some tips for being a successful Write at Home Mom

Tawny’s Top Three Work-at-Home Mom tips

I started writing in 2002, when my youngest was only 3, so juggling writing and mom have been a long-term project.  One I feel pretty good about, though.  If I had to break it down to the top three things I think make working at home with kids ‘work’, it’d be these...   

1.     Train ‘em young
I started writing when my youngest was two.  So that’s all she’s known, mom looking crazed, hair standing on end, writing like a fiend and muttering to herself. For years, long before I had my own office, I wrote in the wide open of the family room. So my kids quickly learned that headphones on mean moms off limits.  Even after I had an office, I’ve always kept the doors open (actually, since we homeschool my office doubles as a classroom, so they’re in and out anyway) so we still adhere to the ‘head phones on means moms off’ rule. 

2.     Get ‘em involved
From the beginning, I’d get my kids involved in various little ways.  Earlier, I’d ask them to suggest names for secondary characters, or ask what color sticky notes should represent the hero and heroine in a particular story.  After I sold, I’d get them involved bundling bookmarks, packaging goody bags, etc.  And when I bought myself ‘I sold a book’ treats, I’d get them a little something, too.  So for every book, they feel like they are invested in the journey-and the success. 

3.     Keep ‘em on Schedule 
A work schedule is so important.  Not just for me, as a writer on deadline, but because my daughter then knows when it’s mom’s busy time, when it’s our together time and which times are free-for-alls and wide open (or as she gets older, the free-for-all time is when to avoid mom time since I always come up with projects like cleaning closets, etc that scare her).  But having a schedule means the other rules are easier to follow.  If my daughters know that I’m working during specific work hours, they also know I’ll be available to them during their hours, especially school time. 

Working at home isn’t easy, but neither is working in an office, I suppose.  I love the freedom of being at home, and the joy of always being close to my kids. 

USA TODAY Bestselling author, Tawny Weber has been writing sassy, sexy romances since her first Harlequin Blaze hit the shelves in 2007.  A fan of Johnny Depp, cupcakes and color coordination, she spends a lot of her time shopping for cute shoes, scrapbooking and hanging out on Facebook.   

Readers can check out Tawny’s books at her website or join her Red Hot Readers Club for goodies like free reads, complete first chapter excerpts, recipes, insider story info and much more.  And for a limited time, she has a few open spots on her Street Team!  

No comments:

Post a Comment