Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Learning Curve of the New Author

It’s hard to believe that it’s less than two months until my debut. Time is totally flying by me at lightning speed. If only I could find a way to slow it down just a little, it’d be helpful. ;-)

At this moment, I’m waiting on the e-file ARC to send out to any interested reviewers. Which means I’m about to have a crash course in Calibre, which I’ve never had a reason/need to use before. If you aren’t familiar with the software, it takes an eBook file and converts it to various other formats so that the file can be read on other e-readers. I hope it’s as simple as it looks. *fingers crossed*

On the writing front, I completed the rewrite on the opening for book #3. The story/plot stayed the same *big sigh of relief*, but the presentation changed. When I first read my editor’s comments, I must admit one or two alarm bells went off. But as I dug in and started writing, it wasn’t as bad as I’d thought. Now whether my editor will like my new approach, well that remains to be seen.

While spring has sprung and the birds and bees are all abuzz, my new story has ground to a halt. *sigh* Can you say holding pattern? I submitted the revised opening + revamped synopsis a few weeks ago, but I don’t know where to go with it until my editor has a chance to read over the changes and get back to me with her thoughts. I really, really hope they are good thoughts.

As you may have noticed, getting published does not mean the wait times go away. Editors have a lot on their plates including but not limited to creating title, book blurbs, cover art meetings, editing other authors, answering emails/questions, reading slush and numerous other tasks. And once in a while they take time out for their own lives. ;-)

But on the flipside, after getting the call, wait times definitely decrease.

For me, it’s making good use of the wait time that’s important. While in waiting mode, I have tons of other writing-related things to do such as marketing (or umm…trying to decipher the best approach to marketing/promo), trying to stay active in my social circles, and my favorite, working on a different writing project. It helps keep the mind limbered up for when I get a yay or nay from my editor.

BTW, for the July Harlequin Romance ebooks of which my debut is a part, they bundled the four books together
and lowered the price. It looks like a great deal. And just today I noticed that Amazon/Harlequin did it again for the August Romances. Hopefully they’ll keep doing it. I don’t know about you but I love a sale. :-)

At the right you'll see a picture of the four new covers in the August Bundle. I just love their NEW contemporary look.

So what do you think of the NEW look of Harlequin Romance?

Jennifer Faye’s debut, RANCHER TO THE RESCUE, is available for Pre-order now. She’d love to hear from you via Twitter, her website, or Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment