Tuesday, April 09, 2013

The Learning Curve of the New Author


Spring is at last here. Posies are popping up out of the ground, the birds are singing and I have Spring fever, which makes it very hard to sit still and type. But my current hero, Mr. GQ, is quite charming and very sexy. Once I start writing his story, I’m very eager to learn more about him and to figure out how he’s going to get his HEA.

Speaking of Mr. GQ, I heard back from my editor on my formal proposal for his story, book #3, and the feedback is positive. Yay! But there’s still more road to go before this is a done deal. A book isn’t done/sold until it’s all written, rewritten and accepted. So this story has a ways to go until I can say that it’s a sure thing. But so far…so good.

I also got my AA’s (author alliterations) for SNOWBOUND WITH THE SOLDIER, book #2. I hadn’t read this book in a few months so it was great to go back and visit those characters again. I fell in love with the hero all over again and was so happy to watch them reach their hard-won HEA.

When I wasn’t working on my new story, I was building my NEW website which includes my first ever blog, Hearts & Scribbles. This is where I plan to do something I’ve never done before..I’m going to maintain my own personal blog hopefully on a consistent basis. I’m going to start with slice-of-life posts including Monday Mayhem, Weigh-in Wednesday and My Friday Reads. And if I’m out and about in cyberland, I’ll leave breadcrumbs so you can find me. I hope to keep the posts entertaining and less about writing. If you ever want to come visit me on Hearts & Scribbles, give me a holler and we’ll work out the details.

And the biggest moment of all was getting my very first cover for RANCHER TO THE RESCUE. I love it!!! My wonderful editor and the Harlequin Art Department did a fantastic job. My hat is off to them. The cover models really do look like my hero and heroine. I just love when that happens. Just makes the story that much more enjoyable.

NEWS: When I received my July cover, they included the inside cover images. And guess what? Harlequin Romance is getting a makeover with a totally NEW cover design! They are beautiful. Very contemporary. Very appealing. And with the new shift in editorial, this look should work perfectly. Wait until you seem them. Great!

I also did something fun this month, I picked out my first ever swag. In all honesty, it was a little stressful as far as trying to pick out the right quantities and not go broke. I saw some really cute stuff, but you had to buy in very large bulk and that made the price a little rich for this newbie. But I hope people will like what I picked out.

And that pretty much sums up my month. Now it’s your turn, does anyone have any other questions for me?








Jennifer Faye is hard at work on book #3. Her debut, RANCHER TO THE RESCUE, is available for Pre-order now. She’d love to hear from you via Twitter, her website, or Facebook.

26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks so much!

      The cover gods were watching over me. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Hi, Jennifer! The cover for 'Rancher to the Rescue' is lovely. Good luck with the other stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Dawn. Thanks so much for the kind words. :-)

      Delete
  3. Yay, for you, Jennifer! I'm so very excited for you. May it continue to be a banner year for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...thanks, Linda! That means so much. It certainly has been an exciting/busy year. :-)

      Delete
  4. You know I love your cover, Jennifer. What kind of swag did you decide on? I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandy!

      As for swag, I went the modest route as this is my first time and not sure how everything works. Lots of learning this year. ;-)

      I ended up ordering business cards, bookmarks, magnets, pocket calendars, and pens (pretty pink ones with a purple logo. They are fun looking and should stand out.) I hope people like them.

      I saw a couple of other things but I put them on hold until the next book as I have NO idea what quantities I need or how this all will work out. But I'm sure you'll find out in future posts. :-)

      Thanks for asking.

      Delete
  5. From MarcieR

    I'm surprised with 2 books sold, book 3 isn't automatically bought based on your proposal. I thought for sure I've heard where an author gets a 2 book (or more)contract based on proposals only.

    But I guess it's different with each author?

    I wish you luck in selling book 3. And I'm excited for book 1 to be released.

    I'm glad you chose pens as part of your swag. I love author pens!! (hint)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcie, even with a contract no book is sold until it is edited to the editor's satisfaction. Sometimes even on contract, books are set aside and new ones written.

      And each writer's path is unique. The best thing to do is to take it one day at a time or in this case, one book at a time. ;-)

      My editor is GREAT! Her feedback is wonderful and the best part is I understand what she's telling me and can envision how to apply the changes. In my experience, the editing has always strengthened the story.

      So you like pens, huh? I hope you'll take part in my upcoming book tour so I can send you some swag. :-)

      Delete
    2. From Marcie

      Ohhhh. So that's how it works!

      I really appreciate you letting me use you as my sounding board.

      I will definitely try to comment on your blog tour!!

      Delete
    3. I'm so glad to be helpful. There's a lot to learn. I learn at least one new thing about the writing biz a day. Most times a lot more. :-)

      Delete
  6. Beautiful cover Ms. Jennifer. May 2013 bring you lots and lots of knowledge...and of course, sales!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Margaret! You are very sweet. I greatly appreciate the kind words.

      I'm learning something new every day. Talk about your steep learning curves. ;-)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Aww...thanks!!!

      I love your books! I have your latest on my TBR soon pile.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the cover! Congrats, Jen. So happy for you. May the sales be awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Wendy! You are very sweet. :-)

      Delete
  11. Hi Jennifer. I love the cover. It's fun, fresh and makes me feel like jumping into his arms myself . . . however, that would make slightly less of an impressive picture.

    Good for you on starting your own blog. Will look forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it might make for a very impressive picture full of spontaneity. ;-)

      Thank you for the kind words. I look forward to seeing you around the Hearts & Scribbles blog too.

      Delete
  12. Hi, Jennifer!

    I love the title of the upcoming book, "Snowbound with the Soldier." Looking forward to that one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Angela! I know what you mean, I'm a sucker for any romance with "Snowbound" in the title. ;-)

      Hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  13. Lovely cover, Jennifer. Best of luck with this book--and with the next ones.

    Barb Bettis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much, Barb! This is such an exciting ride. Now I have to get back to my WIP if I want there to be more. ;-)

      Delete