Saturday, April 27, 2013

Pets and their Authors:Andrea Laurence

Hi, everyone. Shadow the Siberian Husky, here. I’m excited to be at the Pink Heart Society today to talk to you about my owner, Harlequin Desire Author Andrea Laurence. I am the newest animal acquisition in the Laurence household. There’s five of us – three dogs and two cats. Andrea is a sucker and every stray in town knows it. Since I’m the prettiest, I thought I should be the one to blog today. (Jell-o the Maine Coon cat would like to point out that Shadow is not the prettiest, but he is the dumbest, so he was easily manipulated into taking the job.) I mean, how could you resist these sweet blue eyes?

This is a great photo, because it shows how helpful I can be. Andrea likes to write in her big chair and ottoman with her laptop. When I’ve decided that she’s worked too long without a break or praising my charms (approximately 5 minutes), I assist her by placing my head on the keyboard and inserting extra 6’s, plus signs and random gaps into the manuscript that she would’ve left out if not for me. Behind me you’ll also notice Licorice. She’s the oldest of the three dogs and the least likely to destroy something. She’s no fun at all.

Andrea has a weird habit of naming her pets after snack foods (Licorice, Buddy – AKA Nutty Buddy and Jell-o). There’s also another cat, a Blue Russian named Knight (pronounced Kuh-nigg-itt) which she tells me is a Monty Python and the Holy Grail reference. I don’t get British humor, myself. Thankfully, I was already named Shadow when I showed up, otherwise I might be Twinkie or Snickers or something.

Here’s another shot of us doing what we do best – taking up most of the room on the bed while Andrea tries to work upstairs. There is not a bed big enough in the universe for all of us. Like matter, we would simply expand to fill the given space. Buddy the bulldog is at the forefront here. He likes to stay close in case Andrea drops jelly beans or crackers while she works. She’s always nibbling on candy and drinking Diet Coke when she works, so he’s constantly on alert.

Here is one of our snack acquisition strategies. Buddy’s number one priority is food. Always. I saw him eat a piece of broccoli once. Gross. Anyway, here you’ll see we’ve laid in a formation that makes it impossible to get to the sink, oven or refrigerator without stepping over us. That exponentially increases the odds that Andrea will drop something and Buddy will get to eat it. (Jell-o the Maine Coon cat would like to state that if it’s cheese that is dropped, she gets first dibs and she’ll claw any dog that thinks otherwise.)

Sigh. Since Jell-o keeps interrupting, I might as well show a shot of her. She’s not as helpful with Andrea’s work as I am. She tends to bathe obsessively while she sits beside her, which is not only annoying, but makes the air smell unpleasantly fishy. Bleh. She’s also mean. She gets mad when I chase her or try to see if I can fit her head in my mouth. She’s touchy. So’s Knight. So touchy, apparently, that she doesn’t like having pictures taken of her. I couldn’t find a single one on Andrea’s hard drive. Of course, I don’t have thumbs, so that slows me down.

Before we finish today, Buddy would like me to mention Andrea’s latest book – A VERY EXCLUSIVE ENGAGEMENT. He says if it does well, we get more treats. We’re all about the Begging Strips around here, and they’re pricy, so here’s my best sales pitch for the book –

“What happens in the elevator, stays in the elevator, right?”

Trapped between floors with his spitfire employee, media mogul Liam Crowe can’t control the chemistry. First, Francesca Orr is calling her new boss names in the boardroom; next, she’s kissing him! Now Liam has some choice names for Francesca: fiancée, maybe even wife. Because the only way to keep control of the scandal-plagued news network he’s just acquired is if he settles down, and Francesca is perfect fake-fiancée material. But when she goes along with the plan, things get real—really fast—because there’s nothing fake about Francesca….

Okay, I didn’t write that. That’s just the back cover blurb. Why should I? A paid professional already did all the hard work. What I will add is that Andrea has the first ½ chapter up for free on her website – for readers to download. A VERY EXCLUSIVE ENGAGEMENT comes out May 1st in digital, May 7th in paperback.  All proceeds from the book go to the worthy cause of buying Begging Strips and lint rollers. Maybe one of those Dyson Animal vacuums.

Seriously, you have no idea how badly I shed.

Here’s Andrea’s bio:

Andrea Laurence is an award winning author of contemporary and paranormal romance. She has been a lover of reading and writing stories since she learned to read at a young age. She always dreamed of seeing her work in print and is thrilled to share her special blend of sensuality and dry, sarcastic humor with the world. A dedicated West Coast girl transplanted into the Deep South, she's working on her own "happily ever after" with her boyfriend and their collection of animals including a Siberian Husky that sheds like nobody's business. (See, I told you!)

You can contact Andrea at her website: or follow her on Facebook ( or Twitter (@Andrea_Laurence).





1 comment:

  1. Well, Shadow will be very disappointed to know that no one has commented how pretty he is. The most vain man I know. :)