Monday, April 29, 2013

Male on Monday with Susan Sleeman


Susan Sleeman here. I wanted to share one of my favorite parts of
writing a book—choosing the hero. After I create a character sketch for the male lead, I search for a photo of a famous celebrity whose looks match my lead’s personality.

In The Justice Agency—my latest five book series featuring five adopted siblings who own a private investigation agency—I wanted to make sure the siblings were as different and unique as possible. Two of the siblings are female and three male. The interesting part of writing this series is that the Justices have strong family ties found with birth siblings, but they look nothing alike. So I was free to choose whichever picture fit their personality.

In No Way Out, my May release featuring Cole Justice, I needed a guy who personified a rebellious and strong willed personality. So I knew I didn’t want a man who was clean cut, Mr. GQ. I needed a guy who looked a bit scruffy and tough.


After much research, I selected Martin Henderson for his facial hair and longer hair.

What do you think?

Ignore the fact that’s he’s playing a doctor in this picture, but can you see a guy who once served in the military? Who was once a US marshal, bringing in fugitives? I can and that’s how Cole Justice was born.

 Of course, I couldn’t leave you all without giving you a quick peek at Ethan
and Derrick Justice.

Ethan, featured in book one Double Exposure, is a former FBI agent. He’s more straight-laced, buttoned down, and clean cut, yet intense and focused. Edie Cibrian fit the bill for me.



Derrick, the youngest brother of the family featured in book five Desperate Measures, looks very much like his twin to sister Dani who is blond. So, of course, Derrick had to have light hair as well. And he had to be a carefree kind of guy who couldn’t settle down and make a commitment to a woman. And yet, Derrick is a former cop so he had to be tough and intense at times. These pics of Paul Walker combines all of those characteristics for me.

So there you have the men of the Justice Agency who I’ve spent the last year writing about and getting to know. I’m just finishing book five, and I will sorely miss this family!
 














SUSAN SLEEMAN is a best-selling author of inspirational romantic suspense and mystery novels. Her first romantic suspense title, High-Stakes Inheritance earned a spot on the ECPA bestseller list and her Garden Gate Mystery series, which features Nipped in the Bud, and Read Between the Tines has enjoyed time on Amazon bestseller lists as well. And The Christmas Witness was named a finalist in the 2011 Daphne du Maurier Award for Excellence in Mystery/Suspense. In addition to writing, Susan hosts the popular internet website TheSuspenseZone.com.

She currently lives in Oregon, but has had the pleasure of living in nine states. Her husband is a church music director and they have two beautiful daughters, a very special son-in-law, and an adorable grandson.

To learn more about Susan stop by any of these locations on the web.
Website           www.SusanSleeman.com
Facebook        www.Facebook.com/SusanSleeemanBooks
Twitter            www.Twitter.com/SusanSleeman
Review Site     www.TheSuspenseZone.com

No comments:

Post a Comment