Thursday, April 25, 2013

LIFE BINGEING

I admit it. I binge.
That got your attention, yes?

THE SECRETS TO BEING FIT & FAB
Harlequin Intrigue author Angi Morgan takes over the column duties this month!

Life is about obtaining balance...not bingeing.

I don't binge and purge food. I don't have the eating disorder most thought of when seeing the word BINGE. And yet again, I do have a problem.  I life binge. It happens with my writing, too.

My 'to do' list is prioritized with the 'must do that day' right at the top. It gets done, I mark it off my list, and I'm completely exhausted since I'd put it off until the day it had to be completed. Sometimes a single task keeps me up until all hours. I deprive myself of foods I love, then eat them every day for a while, then deprive...then eat. I'm striving to get to a point where I don't.

When I clean…I clean. When I volunteer…I volunteer. Yard work until it's finished. Organizing until the entire craft room is immaculate. Taxes on April 15th. Why? I'm not sure. But it has to stop. It's unhealthy. After all, "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." (And turn us Jack Nicholson crazy!) 

I recently wrote half a book in just about two weeks. For some writers, this is an easy task. For me? I'm a 2K a day gal. Writing 4500 words in an afternoon isn't something I want to repeat. Ever. Not that I mind the occasional great writing day when I'm soooo into the story I can't come up for air. But my body can't handle the stress of forcing myself to write like that EVERY day. I didn't clean house, or run errands, or talk much to my family. I didn't allow myself much of a break or do anything fun. I just wrote. And filled the house with 'stress' food to make my life easier.

When the book was off to my editor…there weren't any cravings for 'stress' food. Amazing, the cravings were gone. Just evaporated. I spent a week cleaning, doing intense yard work (including painting our house trim), catching up on social networks and didn't write a word. Seriously. Not a word on the proposal that's due in a couple of days. I had to get caught up, right? I'd neglected things around here far too long. I easily switched back to healthy foods, began exercising again and ultimately…I feel better. Muscle sore, but much better. (Getting rid of the extra salt and sugar helped greatly.)

My question to myself is HOW can I stop craving 'stress food?' The easy answer: eliminate the stress. Well, I know that's not going to happen. I'm a writer. The hard answer: deal with the stress better, wiser. For one thing--I shouldn't put myself under a stressful book deadline again. (Emphasizing the word stressful here, folks since I want deadlines. Writing everyday keeps me on track to meet those deadlines ahead of schedule.)

Just as over-eating, over-drinking, over-dieting or letting social media overwhelm our day can all be unwise, so is a lifestyle that keeps your body in front of a computer screen for 10 to 12 hours a day. Every day. Sometimes sitting your behind in a chair and getting your fingers on the keyboard IS the necessary solution, but it shouldn't be productive indefinitely.

Life is about balance, not bingeing. Sustained bingeing in anything can't be good for us. A reasonable deduction is to include a little of everything, every day. Work, fun, responsibilities, and healthy eating. I'm changing my 'to do' list to include more healthy movement and adding daily chores so I don't get so far behind in my life. We can all do it. It just takes willpower, practice and a little focus. I encourage you to find a healthy, fabulous balance in your life.

I'll be back June 27th to report on how it goes. I have another book deadline. >>grin<< Oh…speaking of promo… Find out all about my newest May release at Get Lost In A Story (today through Sunday). Leave a blog comment here and be added into the GLIAS prize. (International participants if you win, I'll send an electronic book.)
~ ~ ~
Angi Morgan writes 'Intrigues where honor and danger collide with love.' She combines actual Texas settings with characters who are in realistic and dangerous situations. Angi's work has been a finalist in the Bookseller’s Best Award, Romantic Times Best First Series, Gayle Wilson Award of Excellence and the Daphne du Maurier.
~ ~ ~
FIND ANGI
Website   Facebook   FB Fan Page   Twitter @AngiMorganAuthr
A Picture A Day   Goodreads  Book Trailers on YouTube
~ ~ ~
ENTER ANGI'S April contest: register at Rafflecopter through April 30th.
~ ~ ~
Do you life binge? Share with us, especially if you've developed a way to stop.

12 comments:

  1. When I first started doing Tracy Anderson, she would say the key is balance and I would think the problem is that I have none! It is important to balance things in all aspects of life but so hard to do.
    Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am admitting that I have none. In fact, I was "bingeing" at the last minute to get this post up. LOL But I'm determined. Things have to change.
      ~Angi

      Delete
  2. Great post, Angi. And you know I'll help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you do. Couldn't make it without you!!
      Thanks so much for the encouragement, Jen.
      ~Angi

      Delete
  3. I was wondering what to call what I do. Thank you Angi for sharing. I'm going to take a page from your book and make me a to-do list. First on that list,make the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Jen to help me with mine every day. (LOVE YOU JEN!) You can get a Post It program for your PC or Google has a gadget called SCRATCH PAD that's open on my desktop.

      I also use Google Calendars (with pop-up reminders) for big things.

      And there's always the NOTEBOOK I carry around with me. Always. Always. Always. Even at Six Flags (theme park). I find that when I'm relaxed, I think about everything I need to do...so there's the pen & paper to write it on and get it out of my head.

      Good Luck Jeanne!
      ~Angi

      Delete
  4. No, I don't

    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so apropos for what I've been working on in my life recently. I actually have a check list of things to do daily - a little bit of each - in addition to the must do list. It has helped some. But I'm still working on that elusive balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Regina. I just realized that nothing off the "big list" has been crossed off in days. Sigh...
      Thanks for stopping by.
      ~Angi

      Delete