Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Deadline Recipes :: From the Deep South

When southern belle Kimberly Lang joined Australian authors Anna Cleary, Kelly Hunter and Ally Blake to write the When Honey Got Married... anthology of fun, sexy stories set around a big Louisiana wedding, she had to dig deep into her southern charm to wrangle them those gals towards the ways of the gracious south.  Here's one way that helped:

The hero of my story “Grace Felt the Heat” in the When Honey Got Married… anthology is a chef, so he’s constantly trying to feed the heroine.  At the end of the story, Beau puts on a pot of gumbo to simmer. Gumbo is a classic deep south dish, full of fabulous flavors.
My gumbo recipe isn’t really my recipe – I got it from one of the ladies at my church, who got it from someone else– but the recipe does have a credit and I like to give credit where credit is due. So, Mrs. Joe Berman of Lexington, MS, whoever you are, thank you for the fabulous gumbo recipe.  It’s delish and fills the house with the most wonderful aroma while it simmers.  (This feeds an army – you may want to cut it in half or plan to freeze some!)
Fry 12 slices of bacon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
Mix bacon grease with 10 TBS of flour and brown.
12 cups water
5 lbs raw shrimp (peeled and cleaned)
5 chopped onions
2 chopped bell peppers
2 ½ lbs sliced okra
10 bay leaves
4 16oz cans chopped tomatoes
10 TBS Worcestershire sauce
5 TBS salt
1 TBS black pepper
4 shakes of Tabasco sauce
1 TBS dried parsley
1 tsp celery seed
2 tsp soy sauce
½ tsp tarragon
½ tsp thyme
½ tsp rosemary
½ tsp savory (can substitute ¼ tsp sage)
Simmer for 3 hours
Add 1-2 pounds lump crabmeat and crumble in the bacon.
Serve over fresh cooked rice.  More Tabasco can be added to taste.
And now I’m very hungry. I’m thinking I’ll be making gumbo soon…
When Honey Got Married... releases tomorrow!  You can learn more about what happened When Honey Got Married… at her website www.WhenHoneyGotMarried.com.

And don't forget to follow Honey's antics on Facebook, Twitter.  Pre-order from Amazon today!


  1. yum, Yum, YUM!
    Thank you for sharing!!

  2. I made this one, Kimberly. And now my bathroom scales hate me!