Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Tales of an Unpublished Author -- Repetition FTW

This month I’ve learned the best way to keep moving toward the goal of publication is to repeat everything. If you’ve written one mss, repeat the process again with a different story. Once you’ve finished reading a book, read another.

Write. Edit. Sub. Read. Repeat.

It’s a process, right?

Well, in the theme of repetition we’re back to the bizarro world of writing. I call this world bizarro not because it’s off the wall but to encourage writers – myself included – to think differently and outside the box.

I started reading a book from Harlequin’s new KISS line: How to Get Over Your Ex by Nikki Logan. I’m still reading the book and I don’t want to give away a lot of the story but I was in love with the hero within a few pages of his introduction.

Why? Because the hero, Zander Rush, did something different and it was something I could see a real guy with a real heart doing. 

When we create stories we’re supposed to make characters relatable and we’re supposed to give the readers a hero who, well, is heroic.

Zander in Logan's book did something simple: he didn’t abandon the heroine when she needed someone to help her.

While the hero is supposed to be heroic that doesn’t mean he has to run out and save the heroine from a burning house or shoot the bad guy. Think real-life, down to earth heroism. He could do something like, maybe, helping the heroine get out of a sticky situation to avoid further embarrassment.

It’s an original and bizarro move. And, of course, I'm going to keep reading. That's the writer's goal. 

Abbi :-) 

Abbi is still on Twitter -- @abbi_wilder -- because she couldn't give it up for 2013. Her first story, The Baby Whisperer, will appear in The Mammoth Book of ER Romance to be published later this year. 


  1. Great post! And how did I miss the news about you getting pub'd??? I must spend more time in my writing cave than I thought.

    Huge congrats!!! I'm so happy for you. Guess this means you'll have to change the name of your column now. ;-)

    1. Hey, Jennifer,

      I've been quiet as I told you on Twitter. And I think I need to sell to Harlequin before my title changes.

      Thank you for coming over and sharing this with me! :-)

  2. The repeat part sounds easy enough but some days it's not. I want to do something exciting and different and new! I want to have some visible sign of progress. It's rarely like that. It's just day after day taping away at the keyboard. But bit by bit it does add up when I'm not looking.

    1. I agree, Julia. It's hard sometimes to have visible signs of progress when you have to change or delete a scene. Or more . . . I think that's why the word persistence keeps coming up when it comes to getting published.

      And I love shiny new stories. Yet, they're the enticing devil when you don't need them to be!

      I know you're going to get there. :-)

  3. Great post Abbi! I have that book on my TBR list.

  4. I love it when a hero (or heroine) does something normal-yet-unexpected..just give my heart a little flutter.

    Congrats on your news - that is awesome!!

    1. I know, Kristina, and Zander does just that. That's why I had to mention him. Thanks for the congrats. :-)