Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Destination: Life : : Anne McAllister

lifes journeyAnne is shoveling snow. But spring is on its way. She can feel it in the air, see it in those robin red-breasts and the tips of the daffodils peeking up next to the house. 

Wouldn’t you know? 

I have this book – and it is a book I’ve had on the premises for far longer than I or my editor believe should be the case.  All winter long I’ve had this book.  I’ve struggled with this book. Arm-wrestled and kicked and screamed with this book . . .  and now . . . now! . . . when the days are getting longer and the temps are climbing (mostly) above freezing and spring is, literally, in the air, it is taking off.

It’s the one screaming at me for a change. Write me!  Pay attention to me!  Spend time with me!

All winter long, when I spent time with it, HOURS with it, it ignored me. It played hard to get. It turned imageits back, and the hero and heroine went AWOL. They might have eloped for all I knew.  But no. They didn’t. They’re back.  And now they want to play nice.

Isn’t that always the way?

I spent the entire long tedious dark months of winter cooped up with them while they did other things (things that they wouldn’t deign to tell me about). And now, when the weather is getting nice and I want to go outside for longer periods of time, they want me back in the house.

According to Lukas and Holly,  I should be sitting at my computer typing as fast as they  want to talk. And suddenly they do want to talk. This morning they got me up early, yammering in my head, desperate to tell me what they should have told me months ago!  I mean, how annoying can they possibly be?  Pretty annoying.

spring 2I, on the other hand, want to go out and admire the scilla that is just beginning to appear as the snow recedes (well, not today. Today it snowed 6 inches!). But yesterday it was lovely.  And hopefully tomorrow it will be as well. 

“It’s lovely in here,” Holly says.  “Sit back down and type,” Lukas commands. 

I glare at the screen.  They smile back.   

“Pretty please,” Holly says.  “I’ll tell you what happened when I sold my place and had nowhere to go.”

“You know where you went,” Lukas says.  He’s talking to her, but he’s expecting me to write it down.  I can tell from the slightly speculative, extremely conspiratorial look he’s giving me.

“You don’t have to look as if you engineered it all,” Holly says indignantly.

“Who me?”  Lukas has gone from conspiratorial to downright devious. He’s grinning his lady-killer grin, too. 

image“It’s warming up outside,” I remind them.   “I want to walk the dogs.”

“It’s warming up in here,” Lukas counters.  “Your editor will be pleased.”

Hint. Hint.

Sigh.

I will go out and walk the dogs.  But while I’m there, I won’t be noticing the scilla or the daffodils’ bits of green or the crocus beneath the walnut tree.  I won’t notice the robins, either. And unless the geese going north are very vocal, I probably won’t know they’re there. 

imageNo.  I will be preoccupied by those suddenly eager voices who, after months of Sphinx-like silence, when pulling a word out of them in an afternoon was about all I could expect, are now so eager to share their story. 

I was sure that since it was spring, besides walking the dogs, we could take grandkids to the park and they could swing.  Unlikely. 

Now I;’ll be taking Holly and Lukas to the park – and it will be a tug-of-war.

 

Illustrations:

life’s journey: copyright: Jacklyn Kennedy

scilla: By Adventice2000 (Own work) [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-SA-3.0-2.5-2.0-1.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

clip art from microsoft clip art.

1 comment:

  1. Anne, you have my sympathies on your difficult hero and heroine. I hope you manage to pull them into line and enjoy a little of the spring weather.

    ReplyDelete