Thursday, February 28, 2013

Secrets to Being Fit and Fab: Where to begin?


Harlequin Intrigue author and long term weight loss and maintainer Angi Morgan takes over Fit and Fab duties this month and tells her story!

Each part of my journey over the past two years has been building to today and becoming part of such a wonderful column. I'm completely blown away when people tell me that I inspired them to lose weight or get healthy. I struggle every day with my choices. And today's no different.

Nov 2009, size 20
I love reading Michelle's columns, they're full of information and 'ah ha' moments for me. I've been wondering exactly what I'd say for almost three months now. And here I am typing…and still wondering. So you already caught that?    LOL

Okay, the beginning: 234.8 pounds, high blood pressure, bad cholesterol levels, a triglyceride level that kills, asthma, asthma attacks that caused me to pass out, thyroid disease, allergic to statin drugs (that help reduce cholesterol), and miserable watching life from the sidelines. Diets didn't work. Exercise didn't work. *I* didn't work.

Sometimes people get wake-up calls that change their lives. Mine? Five realizations: 
1) My doctor said I needed to see a cardiologist since she couldn't be certain my heart was okay. Six months passed. 
2) I sold to Harlequin and didn't like the way I looked. I was about to turn 50 and didn't think anything would work. 
3)  I was attending a local conference and couldn't wear any of my clothes. I had to buy a size 22 pants. 
4) I watched THE BIGGEST LOSER and realized I weighed as much as two of the contestants when they'd started the season. 
And 5) My 22 year old daughter and I were looking through pictures from 20 years earlier and she said, "I have no memory of you ever looking like this (slim)."

BAM. What a wake-up call. My daughter couldn’t ever remember me being healthy. At that moment in time I knew I had to do something. I needed a program and the best fit for me is TAKE SHAPE FOR LIFE  which uses Medifast pre-packaged products. 

Nov 2010, Size 8
I began on March 24th, 2010. I lost. Fast. In three months I was practically healthy. I was off all asthma drugs and inhalers. Cholesterol looked good, Triglycerides were phenomenal, my blood pressure was perfect at 110/70.  I loved being able to move again, to tie my shoes without cutting my oxygen off, to ride a mountain bike, to hike with my husband. In six months time I hit all my goals and I'd lost 60+ pounds. By Christmas, I was almost at my goal weight of 135... almost...

I'll be sharing more about the ups and downs of this journey. It's not over yet. I feel like every day's a new discovery: Why did I gain? Why isn't it easier to keep it off? Will I ever eat sugar again? 

So writing the Fit & Fab column with Michelle...It's one more step to a healthier life and understanding how to stay fit.

Feb 2013
The first decision on the road to getting healthy is stating out loud that it will happen. Find what works for you, set obtainable short-term goals, reward your self for achieving that goal (can't be food, clothes, or be from another person). People ask how I got published after ten years...I believed I was good enough. When I finally believed I was good enough and deserved to get healthy... I did.


To learn more about Angi and her books visit http://www.angimorgan.com/

I'm on Facebook & Twitter & I have a blog where I post my monthly contests.

DID you have a realization when you began a healthy journey? Care to share? Got a tip to stay on a healthy path? Anyone leaving a comment will be entered in my monthly drawing for a crystal Hershey's kiss. (Be sure to leave your email or email me at Angi@AngiMorgan.com .)

11 comments:

  1. Great post, Angi. I'm so proud of you!!! You look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen. We both know how salads change your life. :-)
      ~Angi

      Delete
  2. You know, I think that last statement is probably the hardest, saying out loud and believing that it will happen.

    You really are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to think of myself as an inspiration, but writing and talking about it seem to help my personal journey. And... if I can be an inspiration while sharing, that's wonderful. I truly hope that those wanting to become healthier and live their lives to the fullest can gain from my journey.

      Thanks for your message, Clover.
      ~Angi

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a lot to be proud of, Angi. I know your family is turning cartwheels about having you in their lives for a whole bunch longer! The weight thing--well, haven't figured that one out yet. But I quite smoking aeons ago. Smoked 3 packs a day. (Not sure how I did that while I was teaching!) I've never smoked since because Iknow if I put the white stick in my mouth, I'd be hooked again. And now a days, who'd want to be a smoker? Costs a major forturne, and there's nowhere you can enjoy doing it.
    Then a little over 3 years ago I gave up Diet Coke. Pretty much drank 3 a day on that two. So I wonder if there's a theme here. Frankly, it's easier to do those two because you don't have to ever smoke a cigarett or drink a coke. But you do have to eat and finding that balance is a tough deal. Happy for you, Angi, that' you've figured it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...I can't imagine you as a smoker, Marsha. Nope...can't imagine it. I began drinking Cokes when I was in Jr. High. Got up to average 4 a day. Gave it up cold turkey and haven't gone back on the day I began Medifast in 2010.

      I'm not certain I have all the food stuff figured out, but I'm working on it.
      ~Angi

      Delete
  5. Great post Angi! You look awesome! I'm proud of you for not giving up on your weight loss goal. It's harder to do than people realize. Keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karilyn!
      I'll probably always be working on eating healthy sort of like a diabetic does...that's actually a good comparison. Watching what I eat is about the same equivalent.
      ~Angi

      Delete
  6. Congrats on the weight loss! You look great!

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete