Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Tales of an Unpublished Author: What Not to Expect . . .

Less than a month ago I was waist deep in muck. Not the kind that sticks to your boots when you’re deep in the North Woods.

This kind of muck was more figurative. I’d been given a short timeline to complete edits on a story. Well, not really edits but a complete re-write. I turned it in only to be welcomed by more rewrites a few days later. 

This went on for what seemed like a week with each interaction between the editor and myself coming closer and closer. By the time it was over, my head was spinning and I wasn’t even sure if the story I’d written was the one I’d intended from the start.

I was waist-deep in the muck of publishing chaos.

I asked a friend if every experience was like this and she said, “No.” I believed her but I also wondered if as a newbie writer things just might be different or this was a sign of things to come. 

A manager at the printer tried to explain to me there were too many variables to expect everything to be error-free.

I didn’t believe him then. But, boy, do I believe him now. Nothing is standard anymore. And no one really knows what for sure will happen next. Like the rewrites of the past month, I expect becoming an author is going to be a chaotic mess for awhile.

So, if you’re moving along the same path as me, don’t expect –


Smooth Sailing, 


Easy Answers.

The best way to manage is to go with the flow as best as you can. Wade through the muck one step at a time and make the decisions that work best for you.

Abbi J

Abbi is still on Twitter -- @abbi_wilder -- because she couldn't give it up for 2013. She will be blogging from her new website: as soon as she can find a way to control the chaos. 


  1. This was interesting for me. I struggle when I can't control the details and have to go with the flow. Can miss out on some good stuff if I don't though!

  2. Thanks, Bec. I learned that I can't control all the details after years of being an RN.

    Thanks, Jenna! :-)