Thursday, February 21, 2013

A nice surprise!

I'm just back from a fabulous trip in New York.  There was lots of drama and tears.  The day before we left 1300 flights were cancelled due to the snowstorm.  Our travel agents spent most of the day on the phone to us before finally confirming at 8pm that our flight would take off the next day.  Time to start packing!
I chewed my nails all the way to the airport in case our flight was cancelled.  We were lucky - it wasn't and ours was the second plane to touch down at the newly re-opened Newark airport.
New York involved sightseeing, shopping (but not by me!), strawberry daiquiris and eating out.
The new Cake Boss cafeteria was fabulous - the cakes even better.  A certain staff member also told that us Buddy is a great boss to work for.  I was really delighted to hear that as you can never really tell with TV programmes.
As usual I have a few regrets.   I missed Belvedere Castle in Central Park.  I forgot to go into the Michael Kors shop in the shopping outlet.  I never got to Macy's or Bloomingdales.  But we did manage to go to the top of the Rockefeller center, stay in the Waldorf Astoria, do the red Grayline bus tour, see the Statue of Liberty, visit Katz deli, visit the Cake Boss cafe, have lunch in the Rockefeller center next to the ice rink, go to the Woodbury shopping outlet, let my eldest visit the chaotic 24 hour Apple store, let my youngest visit FAO Schwartz and ride the ferris wheel at Toys R Us, do the Night at the Museum tour at the American Museum of Natural History and walk through Central Park.  Phew!

I also had a lovely surprise last month.  Two of my books have been shortlisted for the Romantic Novelists Association RoNA Rose Award.  The ceremony is on 26 February, so in a few days time I'll be off to London and get to hang out with the other nominated authors.  It's really lovely to see medicals in the shortlist as they are often the lesser-known line.  Happy times!
After that I think I will be going to lie down in a corner somewhere.....


  1. New York sounds fabulous! On my list of places to go and you certainly sound like you made the most of it! Huge congrats on the nominations and loads of luck x

  2. Thank you Charlotte. Don't expect to win but was really delighted to be nominated.

  3. So glad you had such a fabulous trip to New York!!! And congrats on the being nominated. Those are wonderful books. :-) Good luck! :-)