Saturday, January 26, 2013

Writers Workspace:Tawny Weber

Writing Zen


I always admire those authors who can go to crowded, noisy public places like Starbucks or Panera and actually write.  I can go to crowded, noisy public places like Starbucks or Panera and people watch.  Or eat.  Or chitchat.  But write?  Nope, not even possible. 


I need my space.  My writing space.  Ahhhhh (picture me sinking into the coziness that is my chair with a big satisfied sigh) I love my writing space. 


I can write in places other than my comfy chair at my carefully arranged desk.  If I have to.  I’ve written while traveling and as long as I have my tools (iPod & earbuds, story notes, cozy blanket) I can write in a cabin in the mountains while avoiding family or a hotel in the middle of the night while resting my feet from chasing Mickey.  And I often, during the winter, will load my WIP to the cloud and take my laptop out by the fire to write.  Otherwise my fingers freeze and don’t move fast enough.


But, always, my preference is to write at my desk. 


It’s a subliminal thing.


It really is. 


My desk is comfy.  It’s custom made to be exactly what I want.  I found an inexpensive dining table (lots of space on top) and painted it, then had my husband cut an opening for my sliding keyboard.  My chair rocks, swivels and is super cushy, with a pillow for back support and an electric throw to keep me warm.  My monitor is huge, preventing eye strain and keeping me entertained with its big pretty background.  And best of all, my keyboard is so well used, the letters are all rubbed off.  Which means nobody else tries to use my computer since none of the family types by touch.  I have my large white board, with the plotting grid and outlining notes right next to my desk, keeping me on track. 


Those are the practical things, and they really do help with the writing.   The view of my monitor includes crystals and messages that give me a soothing sort of empowered Zen feeling as I write.   The wall to the left of my desk is decorated with framed photos of my covers, which is a great reminder when I feel stuck in a story that ‘yes, I can write a book.  Really really, I can.  That message is reinforced when I look at the wall of covers.  And since most of them have hot hunky guys on the front, they are yummy, too. 


So while I can write in other places (albeit poorly if you plopped me in the middle of a Starbucks), I’d always rather be at my desk!  I sit here, and think ‘Yes, I’m a writer.” Whether the words easily flow or not, the message is clearly imprinted in my space.  And then it, hopefully, comes across in the books! 




Tawny Weber has been writing sassy, sexy romances since her first Harlequin Blaze hit the shelves in 2007.  A fan of Johnny Depp, cupcakes and color coordination, she spends a lot of her time shopping for cute shoes, scrapbooking and hanging out on Facebook. 


Come by and visit her website at for hunky contests, delicious recipes and lots of fun. 



  1. Hi Tawny ~ I love the wall covered with your covers! I think they would be inspiring. Thanks for the peak into your work space.

  2. Hi Kaelee and thank you!!! :-) I love that wall, too - both because it keeps me motivated and encouraged, even when I wonder how on earth I ever wrote a story. And because it's a really cool whoohooo thing to see when I walk in - sort of a wall of evidence, showing what I spent so much of the last 6 years focusing on :-D

  3. Hi Tawny,

    Thanks for sharing. I love the sound of your custom made desk. I'm currently weighing up whether to invest in a desk that rises and lowers at the touch of a button, so you can type standing for a bit of variety. It's wonderful to have a writing space where you feel completely comfortable. It makes all the difference. I love the wall of your book covers!