Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Tales of an Unpublished Author: My Resolutions Never End




Welcome to 2013! Or at least January 9, 2013. Have you made your resolutions yet? I have and I’ve broken one already. Everyone gets three guesses which one and the first two guesses don’t count.

The ever-mighty thorn in the side word count is my first problem. (If you guessed exercise, I’m still going but it’s running a close second.) I’m trying to find a happy medium between what I can achieve on my days off and what I can write the days I work.

I know there are many writers out there who work full-time and write but my situation is a bit different: I work 12 hours shifts and I work at night.  Three days a week, I go into work at 7pm and leave at 7:30am if I’m lucky.

The simple answer might be: just wake up an hour earlier and write then. I’ve been doing that but my word count still varies unless I use Write or Die. This program is great for first drafts but not when I'm editing.



My initial goal was to write 1K on the days between work. When I started, I could barely get in 200 words each time. Instead of getting frustrated and abandoning the resolution, I revised the resolution to 500 words.

As the proverb goes: If you don’t succeed at first, try try again.

Over a week into 2013 and I've almost doubled my word count on work days. 

Why am I doing all of this? Because I know once I am published I will most likely continue to work as a nurse and I need to have a consistent routine.  And I would think it will help me in the future when I’m published. I may not hit the mark with my first draft to the editor, so I work again on revisions.

It’s not about getting it perfect the first time. It’s about keeping a positive outlook and reevaluating through the long haul. Yes? 

Wishing everyone a 2013 full of positive goals and successes. I'll continue my Bizarro guide to writing next month. 

Abbi :-) 

Abbi is still on Twitter -- @abbi_wilder -- because she couldn't give it up for 2013. By mid-February, she will be blogging from her new website: www.abbiwilder.com



4 comments:

  1. Abbi, great going with you word count! I'm impressed with you writing consistently. I still find there are days when getting words on the page is just too hard. Now, so long as I write most days, I let myself have a couple of days if I need them that are writing free. Having said that I usually do writing related work on those days.

    Hope your year is a fruitful one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! You didn't stop trying just because you broke your resolution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the word count! I still don't have a fixed writing routine but it all comes together eventually. :-) And after the holiday break it's really hard to do the BICHOK. But I have some characters that are just dying to get their stories told. :-) I really hope 2013 is your year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Annie. Hope you have a great year, too.

    Thanks, Kaelee.

    And, thanks, Jenn. I hope so too. :-)

    ReplyDelete