Thursday, January 17, 2013

Random Thoughts: Scarlet Wilson

In my first Random Thoughts column of the year I'm going to talk about planning ahead.

Now, you might imagine that this would be about the three books I'm planning to write this year for one publisher, one for another and a chance submission for another line.

But no.  I'm talking about a whole other kind of planning.

THIS KIND!!!

Empire State Building
I took this the last time I was in New York.  It was over eight years ago and as I have a special birthday coming up soon myself, my fiance and our two boys are heading stateside in a few weeks.

I've found some people's reaction to my news a little strange.  Lots of people have asked why I'm taking the kids. 
Just so we are clear - I'm taking my kids because I don't want to celebrate my big birthday without them.  They've never been to the US and are really excited.
We have a list of things they want to do -
1. Visit Carlo's Bakery in Hoboken, NJ and buy something from Cake Boss
2. Go to the 24 hour Apple store
3. Do the Night at the Museum tour of the American Museum of Natural History
4. Go the giant Toys R Us and FAO Schwartz.
5. Go to the Hard Rock Cafe in New York

Last time around my fiance and I did the Red Bus Tour, the Empire State Building, the horse trip around Central Park, Bloomingdales, Century 21, and the staten island ferry past the Statue of Liberty.

Obviously we'd like to try and squeeze a little shopping in at some point, and my other half wants to go to the When Harry Met Sally restaurant to order a pastrami on rye.  YUCK!

The other thing that we're doing is staying at my dream hotel.

The Waldorf Astoria.  I'm well aware that I'll probably have some tiny basement room, but at this point I don't care.

Any suggestions about places to visit, or must do things for New York are gratefully received!

5 comments:

  1. Ohhhh how exciting, Scarlet! Bet you all can't wait to go! Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Caroline! Excited but a little terrified too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We really enjoyed visiting the Cathedral of St Patrick when we were in New York. We also enjoyed the lobby of the Waldorf Astoria. You are so lucky to be able to see a lot more. you might want to put Grand Central Station on your list as it's celebrating 100 years in 2013. Here's a link you might want to browse. http://www.grandcentralterminal.com/

    Best advice is to have fun and do a few spontaneous things if you have time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kaelee! Hadn't heard of the cathedral but will put that on the list. Thanks for the link too, 100 years? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a wonderful holiday, Scarlet! My favorite place in NYC is The Cloisters. Other favs include the Magnolia Bakery in Greenwich Village for cupcakes and a shopping expedition to the Kate Spade store. Cupcakes and designer bags...what's not to love?

    ReplyDelete