Thursday, December 06, 2012

What are you reading for Christmas?

PHS editor and Harlequin Historical author Michelle Styles gives details of the books she will be reading this Christmas. What is on your TBR pile?
Today is 6 December or St Nicolas day. All across the Netherlands, St Nicolas has made his visit, leaving treats in wooden shoes. One of my favourite stories when I was growing up was Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates.  And one of the first places I visited in Europe was Amsterdam in December 1984. Unfortunately the canals weren't frozen but the Dutch do know how to do the Christmas season.
Although Advent calendars start on 1 December, I really think the whole Christmas season starts on 6 December.
An important part of Christmas for me is listening to Christmas music and reading. Currently I have Kate Rusby's Sweet Bells playing. I love her traditional Yorkshire carols which are slightly different from the ordinary. I am also very fond of Josh Groban's Noel album. I get out my collection of Christmas music every year and play it. And I always try to find another album or so.
There are old favourites like Dickens A Christmas Carol and the Tasha Tudor Take Joy (it belonged to my great grandmother and I love the illustrations) which I read every year, but I love discovering new Christmas romances. There is just something about this time of year which lends itself to the romance genre.
This year I am planning to read the Donna Alward/Fiona Harper/Shirley Jump trilogy --A Christmas Letter. I have  been saving it with anticipation.
There are also the Christmas novellas that Harlequin Historical puts out Gift-wrapped Governesses and  Candlelit Christmas Kisses caught my eye.
And because I have enjoyed her Christmas set stories in previous years, Robyn Carr's My Kind of Christmas offering is right up there. They always remind me of Christmas in Northern California  near where I grew up. We had a cabin in the Sierra Nevadas and would go up for Thanksgiving and then just after Christmas.
But I know there are lots of other Christmas themed books. Every series has several.
So what are you planning to read to put you into the mood?
And do you know of any good Christmas music albums?


Michelle Styles writes warm, witty and intimate historical romance in a wide variety of time periods.
Her next book An Ideal Husband? will be published in April 2013. You can learn more about Michelle and her books on www.michellestyles.co.uk

1 comment:

  1. I will be reading A MOVEABLE FEAST, THE MYTH OF THE GODDESS and not sure yet of the others.

    ReplyDelete