Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Destination Life : : Anne McAllister

lifes journey bigger_thumbAnne is getting ready for Thanksgiving.  She thinks the next book she writes should be One Thousand and One Things To Make With Cranberries.

My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving.  It’s so focused and simple – and profound.

It doesn’t take a lot of preparation. At least not the sort that Christmas does.  I love Christmas, but it’s got so many agendas once a person has kids and grandkids scattered all over the country, that it’s not as easy to stay focused on what’s important.

Or maybe I’m showing my age – and I don’t multi-task as well as I used to!

But Thanksgiving I can do. I can make my grandmother’s cranberry sauce, and fix the turkey dressing made to the recipe handed down by her mother.  I can make the salad that all the kids and grandkids love – the one my mother brought to every family dinner as far back as I can remember. (What kid doesn’t like lime jello and cottage cheese and crushed pineapple?  Well, probably some, but not at our house.)  Even the dogs, as you can see, are appreciative of the potential of a Thanksgiving feast.

ruger turkey xmas 2003The thing about Thanksgiving is – it’s about blessings and people (and dogs) and a meal. 

Even I can do that. 

The menu doesn’t change substantially from year to year – though I guess there was a time when we didn’t ‘traditionally’ have key lime pie for dessert. We had now for the past, oh, twenty odd years, so it seems as if it fits.   And every once in a while someone decides we needed candied yams. But ‘traditionally’ we don’t do that.  We are always happy to have them, though.  We just don’t do them ourselves.

But we’ve had some great dishes brought by friends and acquaintances and even strangers to our Thanksgiving meals. That’s one of the real blessings of the holiday as far as I can see.  It is a limitless feast.  Well, maybe it’s limited by the number of chairs you can muster or the number of forks you can dig up. But really, Bring Your Own Chair has occasionally been the order of the day around her. And I haven’t run out of forks yet. 

TraditionalThanksgiving By Ben FranskeSome years we have lots of people. A couple of years there were only three of us.  No matter. We are always glad to see anyone who comes – and anyone they want to bring with them is welcome.  I learned that early on from my grandmother who, along with her cranberry sauce and her turkey dressing, passed on the wisdom that Thanksgiving was about making people welcome.  So we did.

We do.

It’s one of the great joys of life.  If you all dropped in on Thursday, I’d be happy to have you.  I’m blessed in many ways. The writers and readers I’ve met on my journey are one of the greatest blessings I’ve been given.  Thank you all for being a part of my world, for making my life richer, my blessings greater. 

Anne is also thankful for the publication of Breaking the Greek’s Rules, as a Mills & Boon Modern.  Those of you who would expect to see it come out as a Harlequin Presents will have to look for it on bookdepository.com or some other UK site, as it got lost in the schedule time-slip and as far as she knows won’t be published in North America, though it might make it as an ebook.   The paperback is available now in UK.


Traditional Thanksgiving photo by Ben Franske [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-SA-3.0-2.5-2.0-1.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

1 comment:

  1. My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!

    UK Assignment Help