Saturday, October 27, 2012

Writers Workspace: Fiona Lowe

Pink Heart Society is delighted to welcome Australian author and RITA® award winning author Fiona Lowe to Writers Workspace.

When Michelle asked me months ago if I’d like to share my ‘creative space’ with all you good people, my first reaction was ‘October. No worries, that’s months away.’  Last week, when I realized it was now actually October, my reaction was more like **PANIC** 

In between gasping hyperventilating breaths, I realized I would have to tidy up. No, scrub that, I would have to repaint, no, I would need to get in  an interior designer, a Feng Shui expert...or better yet, get my fourteen year-old design whizz  son to Photoshop me an office from a photo.

 He told me no amount of airbrushing could hide the truth ;-)

I’d like to say that my office looks like my book shelf; neat and tidy.

But in a moment of Zen, I decided to be honest with you.  If you have enjoyed a Fiona Lowe book, then it’s been typed at a computer on this desk.

Yep, this pretty much sums up my workspace. My office is a square, which is entered via a spiral staircase. It has windows around three sides and a distinct lack of wall space. As you can see, I use the venetian blinds above my screen as a notice board. These pieces of paper and collages help me when I stare blindly at them wondering what on earth to type next. Useful phrases like, ‘The past will always affect your future’ and ‘Give enough information so we know why it’s a disaster’. Oh and pictures of handsome men just because.

My husband brought me in a notice board from the garage, which sits on top of the tall boy. I use this to plan my single title books, which are 100,000 words and double the length of my medical romances. Boomerang Bride started like this and now the board is home to my plans for my Carina Press Wedding Fever trilogy, which is out in April, August and December of 2013.

The truth is, I’m not that tidy. I have a problem making decisions about where to file things so papers tend to pile up. Everything on my desk I have at one point needed…whether I still do is open to debate and will come under scrutiny in January. Why January? THAT is when I have the annual tidy up. That is when  I clean my  desk and I start over for the New Year.

Generally, I write at my desk but it can get hot in my office in summer and cold in the depths of winter so then I decamp to the kitchen table…it’s handy having a laptop.  When I’m  reading my manuscript, I print it out, make a HUGE pot of tea,  snuggle up on the couch with a European pillow at my back,  a doona on my lap and a red pen in my hand and I stay there until the job is done.

Do you have a space you know in your heart of hearts should be tidier or are you someone totally stressed by clutter and therefore you have none? Also, I’d love some filing and retrieval tips if you have any to share!


Fiona Lowe is a RITA® and R*BY award-winning, multi-published author with Harlequin and Carina Press. Whether her books are set in outback Australia or in the mid-west of the USA, they feature small towns with big hearts, and warm, likeable characters that make you fall in love. When she's not writing stories, she's a weekend wife, mother of two 'ginger' teenage boys, guardian of 80 rose bushes and often found collapsed on the couch with wine. You can find her at her website, facebookTwitter and Goodreads.

Newborn Baby for Christmas is her next Harlequin Medical romance and is out on November 1st. Perfect holiday reading!


  1. Fiona, thanks for sharing the pics of your work place. I love knowing that someone else works in organised clutter! The idea of a completely tidy house appeals to me but in practice - well, let's just say minimalist tidy just isn't me. Congratulations on your Christmas release!

  2. You made me feel distinctly more comfortable with my study, Fiona--thank you! And I'll add that my book cases are tidy, but the floor and desk top hold the overflow. In fact, I'm working in the family room. I claim it's because it's more convenient; truth is, there ain't no room on my study desk! When I tidy away the tax stuff, and do the filing, and find the chocolates I'm sure are hiding under the paperwork, I'll move back (maybe). Looking forward to your next Xmas release.

  3. Nice commentary ! I loved the info . Does anyone know if my assistant can grab a template a form form to fill out ?