Tuesday, October 09, 2012

WRITE AT HOME MOM: Amy Andrews

The Pink Heart Society welcomes award winning Write-At-Home-Mom Amy Andrews...

Amy is an award-winning author who has written thirty-one romances for Harlequin Mills and Boon in both the Medical and RIVA/Presents lines. To date she's sold over a million books and been translated into thirteen different languages. In 2010 she took out the sexy category in the prestigious Australian Romantic Book of the Year Award affectionately known as The Ruby. 

She's been married for twenty-two years and has two teenagers who only admit to her being a writer when they have to explain to their friends why there's no food in the house when their mother is approaching a deadline. She lives on acreage on the outskirts of Brisbane with a gorgeous mountain view but secretly wishes it was the hillsides of Tuscany.

My 14 y.o. daughter (who seriously should have known better) uttered those fateful words the other day. “You were home all day doing nothing, you should have done it.”

WTG not-very-smart-teenage-girl. Wave a big, red flag in your already annoyed mother’s face. To her credit, she knew instantly she’d said the wrong thing and back pedalled big time. And if she hadn’t, my “that nothing paid for our trip to America in 2007 and the one we all took to the UK in 2009” would soon have clued her in.

I’d like to say that I held my head up and was the bigger person but really I was just p#$ed off. Trust me, that conversation was all downhill from there.

But later, when I calmed down, I thought – can I really blame her? If I don’t own being an author, then can I expect her to do the same?

Yes. You heard me – I don’t own being an author. You’d think after 30+ books I would, right? But, no, I don’t. Why? Well leaving aside the fact that I still feel like a bit of a fraud, there’s an even bigger issue in play. You see, for twenty-five years my main income has been from nursing. So I really see myself as a nurse first and don’t tell people I’m a writer - mostly. Sure, obviously some people know, but it’s not how I ever introduce myself. When I meet someone new, I usually tell them I’m a nurse.

Why? Because it’s just easier that way. It’s a job everyone can quantify. It’s tangible. It’s definable. People understand what it is that I do as a nurse. And honestly there are some days I don’t want the ignorant judgement of strangers when I tell them I write romance novels for Mills and Boon. It’s not worth being made feel like my IQ is negative something by people I don’t know and whose path I’m never likely to cross again.

So…yeh…it’s just easier to be one of those “angels” and have them like and understand me.

But it also devalues what I do.
 Just as working from home seems to automatically devalue what you do in the eyes of many – not just teenage girls. Throw into that mix being a woman and I’m the whole “work from home mother” catastrophe. Like its some little hobby that I dabble in while the man of the house is out earning the real money. Like it’s transferrable. Like it’s not important.

Well I’m calling bullshit on that!

Yes, I’m a write from home Mum. But don’t think that makes me less in any way. I get to make people’s lives a little bit better by living vicariously in someone else’s HEA for a few hours and goddamn it, sometimes that is important! And the best part is, I get to do it from home, and no matter how hard the juggling act is (because you can’t separate out the two no matter how well organised you are - or at least I can’t anyway), it’s worth it. I get to be author and super-Mum all at once and if it looks like I’m doing nothing to my kids, maybe that just means I make it look so utterly seamless??

So from now I’m out and proud.

I am writer. Hear me roar!

Twitter - @AmyAndrewsBooks


TAMING THE TYCOON (Entangled Publishing)
Real estate tycoon Nathaniel Montgomery is one deal away from making his first billion and fulfilling a promise to his dying father. Nothing will stop him from tearing down the decrepit St. Agnes hospital and erecting posh condos in its place. Not even the crystal-wearing, health food store owner whose publicity stunt lands him in the hospital. 

After her brush with death five years ago, child prodigy Addie Collins learned what’s truly important—health, happiness, and the two-hundred-year-old rose garden at St. Agnes. To make amends for the accident, she agrees to pose as Nathaniel’s girlfriend at his eccentric grandmother’s birthday party. 

But Addie has an ulterior motive. To repay her debt to the universe, she must show him there's more to life than making money. Nathaniel hates to lose, but as she breaks through his defences, losing himself in Addie's arms might be exactly what this tycoon needs…

Buy Links
Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Taming-the-Tycoon-ebook/dp/B008ZIQLD4/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348011418&sr=1-1&keywords=taming+the+tycoon+-+amy+andrews

 B&N - http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/taming-the-tycoon-amy-andrews/1112550469?ean=2940014899048

10 comments:

  1. Amy,I can almost hear your roar from here - good on you! How you juggle everything you do, I have no idea, but please don't stop - we need more of your books! Thirty-one romances is simply amazing.

    Taming the Tycoon has been waiting patiently on my kindle for far too long now. Blow the housework, I'm diving in ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this being discussed on Twitter. About you being a writer who does prac work. But isn't it nice that both things you do benefit people. And both jobs can feed off each other. Angel and Romance Diva. It's all really seamless as you say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks Princess Fiona! I'll let you in on a little secret but shh, dont tell anyone - its really nowhere near seamless :-0 !!

      Delete
  3. Understand this post !00%, especially the not telling strangers part. And I think having the day job makes it easier to hide. Keep juggling and be proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol - I guess that's one way of looking at it Sami :-) Pleased I'm not the only closet romance writer around :-)

      Delete
  4. Amy ~ I am so happy that you are a writer. If it's any consolation I'm at home all day and I don't get everything done either. It could be because I read too many romances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you Kaelee, much appreciated :-) Don't stop reading, beats housework any day!

      Delete
  5. Well said Amy... Last time i had THAT conversation with my teenage son it ended up with major row, him making his own tea and unprintable word scrawled on my office door..... I've kept it there, just so they know sometimes I'm gonna be a *unprintable word* and I really couldn't give a toss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont have a door - wah!
      Putting door on Xmas list....

      Delete