Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Learning Curve of the New Author: That Great Juggling Act

You all know what I mean don't you?

It's that time of year when the schools go back.  Most people would heave a sigh of relief.  But it's also that time when all the after-school activities begin again.

So for me and my two sons that means Boys Brigade, Concert Band Practice, Football Training, Tae Kwon Do (x 2), Brass Band Practice, Foot ball Games, Sunday School, Youth Club and Sunday Night Youth Group.

Phew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a little battle with my youngest last week.  There was a display of temper that is rarely seen in my house.  The temper resulted in someone being sent to bed instead of attending his first night at Boys Brigade.  Really, I couldn't have unleashed that temper on those poor, unsuspecting souls.

Apparently my son didn't really want to attend BB's, but wanted to attend all the extracurricular activities they offer - in particular a chess tournament.  He couldn't quite understand why he couldn't just attend the one thing he wanted to without being a member of the BB's.  This resulted in a long talk.

The following week my son happily attended BB's.  When he came out at nine o'clock he had a big smile on his face.  He told he'd volunteered for the chess tournament.  Then he told me he'd volunteered for the Cross Country Running.  And the Football.  And the Bible Quiz.  He had the kind of smile on his face that said "I'll show you mum!"

And now I need to add all these other, extra-curricular activities to our calendar every Saturday.  So, when do I find the time to write?

The summer has been quite a revelation.  Home from work every night and throw the kids into the back garden, or let them play with the new x-box.  Only one of their activities goes on right through the summer holidays.   So I've had plenty time to write, and to read, and to watch re-runs of NCIS, Castle and Grey's Anatomy.

And now it's time to start juggling all the balls in the air again.  Do I think I will manage?  I'm not quite sure as I've got two big projects on at work that take a lot of time and concentration.  I would love to write full time but that's just not a possibility right now.  I also need to take stock at the end of this year and decide how many books I want to commit to next year.

I want my writing to continue to be a pleasure and not feel like a noose around my neck.  In between all my jobs as a taxi driver.......

And in the meantime I have a Christmas book out!
Her Christmas Eve Diamond Nurse Cassidy Rae is a stickler for rules, but even she revels in the magic of Christmas! This year, however, new registrar Brad Donovan's surfer-boy looks and cocky charms are severely testing her goodwill to all men. But in the festive season miracles can happen, and Brad's about to give Cassidy a Yuletide to remember...




2 comments:

  1. I used to write in the car while I waited for my daughter to do her riding. No internet and I got a lot written -- by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last night I sat in the car writing while my boys were at Tai Kwon Do. 1700 words in an hour, I was a happy bunny!

    ReplyDelete