Monday, October 15, 2012

Male on Monday with Karen Whiddon


Harlequin Nocturne author Karen Whiddon is here this Male on Monday to share her inspiration for a hero.

Heroes. They are a breed apart. Complex, enigmatic, darkly handsome, sinfully sexy. I've written around thirty-five books now, but for the purpose of this blog, I'm going to talk about the inspiration behind the hero of my October Harlequin Nocturne, The Wolf Princess.
    
Dr. Braden Strieb is smart, handsome in a ruffled, Robert Downey Jr. kind of way, and blind. Literally. Blinded in an explosion, he is immune to the bane of Princess Alisa's existence - her beauty. What inspired me to write about him? Partly because he was the hero Alisa needed. And the other part - well, he was a composite of everything one can want in a man. Brilliant, beautiful, and bold. His blindness poses challenges for both of them. And since he is everything that Alisa shouldn't want, in time she will realize he is everything that she needs.
  
That is what a hero is to me. I find a picture that fits the image in my mind. And as I write, I come to know the person, and try to see him through my heroine's eyes.
   
Wolves mate once. Shapeshifters as well. So I have to make sure that the hero I create is the one my heroine will want to spend the rest of her life loving.

For more on Karen, be sure to visit her website, http://www.karenwhiddon.com/

 

5 comments:

  1. Jenna, What you said is so true -- the hero is everything the heroine wants, but even more what she needs. Thank you for the reminder. My hero thanks you, too, because frankly, his heroine doesn't believe it at the moment! I imagine he'll quote you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, sorry, Karen! I looked at who posted the blog and saw it was Jenna. Then I went up to the top again and saw it wasn't Jenna who had written it! Blame it on lack of sleep. Anyway, very true words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "His blindness poses challenges for both of them. And since he is everything that Alisa shouldn't want, in time she will realize he is everything that she needs." Well said! Your words definitely hit home.

    As an aside, who won your September PHS contest?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Which contest, Laney? It's usually noted in the comments for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sept 1/12: "Writer’s Workplace: Karen Whiddon and a Give Away!" Didn't see it noted in the 5 comments and haven't seen it noted elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete