Saturday, September 29, 2012

Writer’s Workplace: Amanda McCabe

The Pink Heart Society is pleased to have Harlequin Historical author Amanda McCabe share her Writer's Workplace with us today!

One of my favorite things to do when I'm wasting time not writing is look at decorating blogs, pickibng out stuff like velvet sofas, pink toile chairs, 18th century tables, and Venetian glass chandeliers to pin on my Pinterest boards.  (I also buy magazines with weird titles like Easy English Cottage Style and French Country Decorating).  I love dreaming of what it would be like to live in all kinds of houses, whether it's a French chateau, a Cotswolds cottage, a mid-century modern place with glass walls, or a tiny Paris apartment.  I especially love imaging the perfect office paces I would create in them.  It would be something like this:

But in real life, I live in a tiny (albeit cute!) one-bedroom apartment, and my writing space is tucked into a former breakfast nook off the kitchen.  This is what my office really looks like:

And yes, that is a Jane Austen doll!  She's a big help when I'm stuck on a plot point.

I also have other writing spaces.  Like my bed.  Or the Starbucks down the street.  Or a library carrel I sometimes steal from a grad student.  It helps to switch things up sometimes.  And when I'm working on a rough draft, I often write it out in longhand in Hello Kitty notebooks from Target, which also keeps things fun.

But I do still dream of tufted satin chaises, a la Barbara Cartland, and purple glass chandeliers.  But for now I am happy with my own little nook.  And also my table at Starbucks comes with unlimited tea nearby, and lots of people curious to know what I'm writing in those HK notebooks...

To learn more about Amanda and her books, please visit her website

No comments:

Post a Comment